For kitchen activities to flow smoothly, a few tools are of absolute necessity. And yes, among the cooking essentials you need is a decent knife. The knife is arguably the most important tool in any cookhouse.
No matter your recipe and the time of the day, a knife will come in handy at some point in your cooking. It will help you in chopping, mincing, dicing, slicing, and more. And as we all know, such versatility calls for the need to choose the best when shopping.
Sure, the simple design makes choosing a knife look like a straightforward affair. However, the fact is that deciding on the knife to buy is one of the most perplexing moments for any chef, whether a beginner or experienced.
To rid you of the turmoil, we dug deep into the market in a bid to identify the most appropriate options for beginners. Our top-notch options are ideal for beginners, although they also deliver excellent results in the hands of professions.
Top 11 Best Chef Knife For Beginners
#1 Victorinox 45520 Fibrox Pro Knife
- For home chefs & professionals. This Fibro Pro chef's knife has been the top choice of both home chefs and professionals alike. Expertly crafted with a tapered stainless steel edge that cuts with ease and efficiency.
- Fit for all tasks. Designed to handle kitchen tasks both big and small, This durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. An essential for every kitchen.
When choosing a knife for a beginner, there are a few things you need to factor in. You have pay heed to the size, handle design, build quality, and other aspects. Now, after our in-depth research, this option emerged the editor’s choice.
The beginner chef knife works well for professional chefs, so it’s one of the most trusted models in the industry. The piece will handle both big and small kitchen tasks perfectly, so it’s one of the multifunctional knives we have out there.
The knife features a high-carbon stainless steel blade. That means it’s incredibly tough and will look good in the kitchen. The razor-sharp edge makes life much easier in the kitchen, whether using it for slicing, chopping, or any other knife-related task.
In other words, the knife we are talking about here is top-notch and one of the most reliable models out there. It offers the best in terms of ergonomics, durability, and cutting. The length is about 8 inches, and that’s a decent size for beginners and professional chefs alike.
And while it’s a top-class model, this cutter has a few drawbacks. For instance, it isn’t a full-tang model. However, it feels rugged, well-balanced, and will handle even the most demanding tasks— you may not even remember that it’s not a full-tang!
- The weight is nice.
- It hones very well.
- Easy to clean.
- Stamped blade.
#2 Mercer Culinary Millennia Chef’s Knife
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Knife is crafted with one-piece high-carbon Japanese steel for easy edge maintenance and long-lasting sharpness
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: Built to last ergonomic handle with textured finger points offers a non-slip grip with added comfort, durability, and safety; Handle color-coded green for fruits and vegetables
Although not always, the rating of a product more often tells us more about its quality. Now, after examining this top-rated knife, we found it to possess almost everything you need to keep things flowing smoothly in the kitchen. It comes second on the list and is our top choice beginner chef knife.
The high-quality chef knife features high-carbon Japanese steel construction. Therefore, it’s super tough and will withstand the heaviest of kitchen abuse for many days. Hence, if you want a tool that will hold onto its integrity even with heavy everyday use in the cookhouse, not many options come close what this model can offer.
The 8-inch Japanese style chef’s knife is easy to maintain. Also, it has long edge retention, meaning you can count on it to retain its day one aggression for many days. But even if it gets dull, you will like how the Japanese steel sharpens with ease.
The handle construction offers a perfect balance of ergonomics and durability. I mean, with Santoprene and Polypropylene constructions, the handle is very comfortable to work with for hours and will retain its shape for years.
The texturing on the grips ensures a non-slip user experience, giving you the level of precision you need in your cutting. And with a finger guard, this knife comes with the safety of the user in mind.
- The cuts are precise.
- Textured grip.
- Easy-maintenance Japanese design.
- Not a full-tang knife.
#3 TUO Chef Knife With Pakkawood Handle
- ✅【SUPER STEEL】We use the high carbon German Stainless steel X50CrMov15 (Din. 1.4116) for the Fiery Phoenix Line. The premium steel is processed under high-tech vacuum heat treatment and nitrogen cooling treatment, bringing out the best characteristic of the steel, enhancing the hardness of the steel toHRC56±2, the resistance of corrosion, and superior edge retention.
- ✅【RAZOR SHARP EDGE】The edge is hand sharpened by highly-skilled knife smiths using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method, each side of the blade is honed at 18 degrees. This extremely sharp blade provides for unmatched efficiency. Your work in the kitchen is done in no time!
For those beginning their culinary journey and are wondering the perfect knife to support their dream, third on the list is another reliable model they can consider buying. The unit offers everything ranging from durability to ergonomics, and that’s why it comes as a runner’s up to the top model.
This option is one of the quality knives that will give you the best moments in the kitchen, whether a hobbyist or a professional chef. You can use it for any work a standard chef knife can do, including slicing, chopping, dicing, and more.
The 7-inch blade means it isn’t one of the larger knives we have out there. However, for an entry-level chef, a shorter blade works better. It’s safer to work with and gives them a more enhanced level of control when cutting.
The durable steel construction means you are getting a unit that’s will serve in your kitchen the longest. The high-tech vacuum heat treatment brings the best out of steel, ensuring that you get a long-lasting piece with the best corrosion resistance.
The knife is pre-sharpened by professional knife smiths, giving you the superior edge you’ve always wanted for your culinary affairs. And since it’s an 18-degree beveled knife, it’s now possible to maintain the sharp edge.
- Thick coating on the handle withstands years of washing.
- Good at picking up prepared food.
- Pretty good control.
- It feels a bit heavy.
#4 LITTLE COOK Kitchen knife
- 1. THE LITTLE COOK ADVANTAGE: Join The Modern Garden-Style Workshops, With a Series of Most Advanced Equipment and Technology.
- 2. PROFESSIONAL CHEFS KNIFE: Classic stainless steel chef knife is made of 100% High Carbon German stainless steel which is rust and tarnish resistant. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchen.
Investing in a high-end product more often guarantees better quality. However, it’s still possible to get a knife ideal for your kitchen tasks without the need to pay much. The fourth option on the list takes the place of the most affordable chef knife for beginners.
Coming only at a fraction of the price of other models, this knife performs exceptionally well in the kitchen. It’s one of the multifunctional kitchen knives and will serve you well for chopping, slicing, dicing, and mincing a variety of meats, fruits, and vegetables.
This piece is one of the Germany-style chef knives. It features premium German stainless steel construction. What that means, the blade feels very solid and won’t flex even when using it for cutting hard objects.
The knife is honed at 18 degrees angle on either side. What that means, you will find it convenient to work with, whether using your right or left hand. The blade’s seemingly unparalleled edge is also easy to sharpen, so you will never have to work with a dull knife.
Could you be looking for the perfect gift for your chef friend? Well, this 7-inch knife makes a perfect present your beloved will remember for life. It comes with a free gift box, so it looks expensive more than it actually is.
- Sharp and precise.
- A perfect gift.
- Affordable price.
- The blade could be a little thicker.
#5 Mercer Culinary Genesis 7-Inch Santoku Knife
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Knife is precision-forged with high-carbon German steel for better durability, and taper-ground edge allows for increased efficiency when cutting along with incredible long-lasting sharpness
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: The finest handle in forged cutlery; built to last ergonomic handle offers comfort and a non-slip grip, even with wet hands
If you love the size, weight, and the cutting precision of the previous model but are ready to fork out more for better quality, here comes the chef knife that should work well for your needs. It’s the runner-up model in terms of affordability.
Like the previous model, you are getting a Santoku-style knife. Hence, it’s quite thin, well-balanced, lighter, and provides a more refined cut. In terms of size, it’s a 7-inch knife, a length that works well for professional chefs, hobbyists, and beginners alike.
The German steel knife is super-solid, so you can count on it for durability. Additionally, this type of metal resists corrosion, rust, stains, and discoloration, ensuring that the piece remains looking new for many years to come.
The taper-ground edge gives you the precision you need in your cutting. Actually, it’s capable of making a tomato slice so thin that you can see through it! Also, this edge is easier to hone and will retain its nice edge for long. Hence, with this knife, always expect the best user experience, no matter the kind of ingredients you are preparing.
The full-tang design means the knife is strong enough to withstand even the most demanding kitchen applications. Finally, when it comes to maintenance, the manufacturer recommends that you handwash it to ensure that it keeps its sharpness for long.
- A sharp knife straight out of box.
- Taper-ground edge.
- Versatile knife.
- Handle not the most appropriate for small hands.
#6 Cangshan X Series 59137 German Steel Forged Chef’s Knife
- Hand crafted full tang knives forged from tight grained, X50CrMoV15 German Steel for incredible durability, stain resistance and exceptional edge retention. USPTO Patented Design.
- Each blade goes through an (ultra6) stage heat treatment ensuring every blade maintains it strength and function. Hand sharpened to a 16-degree angle per side.
Even with a high-carbon stainless steel blade, a knife won’t serve you for long if it has a weak handle. That’s why you have to consider the handle type and design when shopping for one. And yes, this modern chef knife is the best entry-level option with a metallic handle.
The comfortable grip is of alloy steel, so it will withstand even the heaviest abuse in the kitchen for many years to come. Also, you will appreciate that the handle is 5.5 inches— a well-balanced grip, not too big nor small, but just the right size for most hand sizes.
The blade is of X50CrMoV15 German Steel, one of the super-solid materials for use on knives. The multi-stage heat treatment process improves the strength and durability aspect of the knife. Hence, if you want a unit that’s going to stand the test of time, consider directing your money to this piece of steel.
The Cangshan X Series 59137 Chef’s Knife has a double bevel design. Hence, unlike the single bevel design, you will find this piece more convenient to use and quick to sharpen. You will always have the cutting edge you need in your kitchen activities.
Speaking of versatility, this is a multi purpose knife. I mean, there’s much you can do with this piece, ranging from chopping and slicing to mincing, dicing, and other knife-relates tasks. And with the sleek design, it’s the kind of beginner choice every homeowner will want for their kitchen.
- Great looks.
- Reasonable price.
- Durable steel alloy handle.
- The blade doesn’t offer the best stain resistance.
#7 Wusthof WU4176 Classic Ikon 7-Inch Santoku
- Comfortable and highly-durable polyoxymethylene
- handle with a traditional look and feel
We’ve all heard of the common phrase cheap is expensive. For the utmost in performance, you have to be ready to shell out for a premium-quality product. This fantastic choice for beginners takes the seventh spot as the best high-end beginner chef knife.
The construction, durability, performance, and ergonomics are decent, just as we expect of any product in the price range. Therefore, no matter the level of skill, expect the best kitchen experience with this knife.
The handle is of Polyoxymethylene, a long-lasting synthetic material. What’s more, the safe grip has a tighter molecular structure. Thus this handle offers superb resistance to fading and discoloration, something you won’t get in most knives.
Unlike a standard chef knife, you will notice that this piece comes with evenly spaced vertical indentations. These structures create small air pockets that help push food off the blade when cutting to minimize friction and drag. Hence, with this tool, you will find it effortless to prepare your ingredients, including things like potatoes that tend to stick to the blade.
The high carbon stainless steel construction means you can buy this piece with the peace of mind that you are getting a product that will stand the test of time. The Precision Edge Technology means the knife is 20% sharper. And with twice the edge retention of most higher-priced knives, your best moments in the kitchen will be those spent with this knife.
- Double bolster design.
- Utilizes Precision Edge Technology.
- Non-stick blade.
- Not the most affordable.
#8 Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S
- QUALITY MANUFACTURING: Manufactured in Germany. Special formula high carbon no stain steel. Sigma forge knife is forged from a single piece of solid steel
- RESILIENT BLADE: Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade starts sharper stays sharper longer and has superior resilience
Budgeting helps one control their spending and avoid spending more than they would want or afford. It’s a good financial habit that you need to practice, even when buying your kitchen paraphernalia. Now, for those looking for the best under $100 chef knife for beginners, this unit should meet their needs.
The piece is of high-quality German stainless steel. Therefore, in terms of durability, it’s an option that isn’t likely to disappoint. What’s more, this material is stain-resistant, and that makes the knife easy to maintain clean.
In this case, we are talking about a full-tang knife. With that said, we expect it to offer better resilience and handle more demanding tasks exceptionally. Hence, no matter how busy you want to keep it in your kitchen, expect it to maintain its shape for many years.
The three-rivet handle is perfectly joined to the full tang. Hence, it won’t feel shaky when using. Additionally, the polymer-based handle offers perfect balance and will give you a better sense of control in your cutting.
The knife comes sharpened to 15 degrees on either side. What that means, it works well for both left-handed and right-handed chefs. Also, this angle is easy to achieve when sharpening the knife using a stone.
- Full-tang design.
- It’s of German steel for strength.
- Easy to sharpen.
- The handle works better for big hands.
#9 MOSFiATA Chef Knife 10 Inch Super Sharp Professional Kitchen Knife
- 【10” Kitchen Gyuto Knife】- This MOSFiATA 10 Inch Kitchen Knife is made of high-quality German stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- 【Sharp Edge & 14~16° Sharpening Angle】- Sharpness is key. Hand-polished by craftsmen with decades of experience to ensure its durability. The thickness of this cooing knife is 2.75mm. Its hand-polished edge is 14-16 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly. Rockwell hardness: 56 ± 2 HRC.
When buying a knife for big cutting tasks, ensure that you consider the size. Usually, bigger models are more suited for this kind of job. And as you search for a larger knife, consider this model. It’s the best 10-inch chef knife for beginners.
This piece of steel will work well for all kinds of kitchen recipe prep tasks, whether in the home kitchen or restaurant. I mean, whether you want it for vegetables, meats, fruits, or even delicate herbs like Italian Parsley, it won’t disappoint.
The full-sized chef knife has a sharp edge with a 14-16o sharpening angle. What’s more, the honing is by professional craftsmen with decades of experience. What that means, expect this knife to retain its edge for a long time.
The handle is sturdy and features an ergonomic design, ensuring minimal wrist fatigue even when using it for extended times. Also, unlike some handles that only work for specific hand sizes, the safe grip of this knife remains comfortable to the user no matter the hand size and the gripping position.
Speaking of safety, you will appreciate that this piece features a finger guard. The safety feature is of stainless steel for strength. The guard works exceptionally at protecting the user’s fingers when using the knife.
- Ideal for demanding cutting projects.
- The blade is thick.
- The blade is well-fixed into the handle.
- 10-inch is an overkill for small cutting tasks.
#10 J.A. Henckels 31161-161 CLASSIC Chef’s Knife
- QUALITY MANUFACTURING: Fabricated from high-quality German stainless steel. Made in Spain.
- DURABLE: Fully forged construction offers durability and a seamless transition from blade to handle
For the entry-level chefs who want a small knife for use in their everyday kitchen activities, the tenth model on the list comes with them in mind. The premium-grade piece takes the place of the best 6-inch knife for beginner chefs.
This product is of Spanish origin, although it utilizes German stainless steel for the blade. Therefore, the 6-inch chef’s knife feels solid and won’t bend, not even when using it for cutting hard items in the kitchen.
The fine-edge blade is incredibly sharp, so it will give you confidence in every cut. What’s more, the design of the edge ensures long-lasting sharpness. Hence, with this knife, you may not need to resharpen it before every use.
The seamless transition from the blade to the grip improves the aesthetic value of the knife when also ensuring proper balance. What that means, you will it comfortable to work with this decent-quality kitchen tool.
When it comes to ergonomics, this knife will neither disappoint. The three-rivet handle has an enhanced in-hand feel. What this means, the professional-grade quality knife will give you that extra control you need. over your cuts
- A convenient size for small cutting tasks.
- A three-rivet handle.
- Fully-forged full-tang knife.
- 6-inch may be too small for some applications, for instance for cutting large bundles of veggies.
#11 Zwilling J.A. Henckels 3-Piece Knife Set
- Equip your kitchen for less with this essential knife set. Since 1895, Henckels International has been making high quality, everyday knives at an exceptional value. The Henckels International Solution Knife Set is stocked with tools to tackle every kitchen task.
- Fabricated from high-quality stainless steel, the single-piece, precision-stamped knife blades are lightweight without sacrificing strength and durability. Along with the ergonomic, traditional triple-rivet handle, enjoy maximum maneuverability and fatigue-free cutting.
A standard cook’s knife will perform most of the cuts in the kitchen. However, getting a piece that works for a specific purpose gives you the precision you need in your cuts. For this reason, we recommend that you buy this 3-piece set of different types of knives.
The set brings you an 8-inch chef’s knife, a 5.5-inch serrated knife, and a 4-inch paring knife at a practical price. With all these types in a single package, this piece brings you more convenience and versatility than a single piece will offer.
The standard chef knife will work anywhere a cook’s knife comes in handy. The paring knife is ideal for cutting vegetables and peeling applications. And as we all know about serrated knives, the utility knife will work ideally for slicing small foods and juicy vegetables.
All the blades are of high-quality stainless steel, a type of construction that offers you the best durability and strength. Even with the solid feel, this knife set maintains a lightweight design. Hence, each piece is more manageable to work with for prolonged periods.
The Indian knives are all full-tang. Hence, they will stand up to heavy use in the most demanding applications. The elegant finish improves the aesthetics of the cutlery set when offering the best corrosion resistance.
- The carbon steel blades are solid but lightweight.
- A cost-efficient three-piece.
- Little maintenance.
- Not German style knives.
Frequently Asked Questions
What brand of knives do professional chefs prefer?
As a beginner chef, you may want to know what knife brands professionals prefer. Well, different kinds of chefs have varying opinions on what brand makes the best knives. However, some brands stick out more than others. Examples of these include Wustof, Victorinox, Henkels, Mercer, and more.
How can I tell if a knife is good?
As a beginner, you may want to know what exactly makes a decent cook’s knife. Well, in the most straightforward terms, a good knife needs to be solid, sharp, and with a comfortable in-hand feel.
What size should I buy?
As a beginner, you may wonder whether to buy small or larger knives for your kitchen use. Now, larger models, say 12-inch chef knives, work best for more experienced chefs. If you are beginning your culinary journey, consider smaller sizes. An 8 inch chef knife or smaller should work well for your needs.
Is 20-degree edge good for beginners?
Well, any blade angle between 15 and 20 degrees is perfect edge for beginners. That’s what most of the knives on our list come with. However, some models come with sharper edges that are 12-13 degrees, which can be risky for use by entry-level cooks.
How much does a good chef knife cost?
Although most people think that higher prices translate to better quality, that’s not always the case. At times you will get better quality from a lower-priced knife than one with a high price range. What that means, when looking for one, you should operate within the boundaries of your budget. Luckily, our selections cover a wide range of budget sizes.
Although they say for you to get professional outcome you have to use what professionals use, this doesn’t apply to knives. A knife is one of the kitchen’s most dangerous tools. Hence, if you are just starting to learn the ropes, a professional chef knife isn’t the most appropriate. It’s wise to buy a knife made for people of your kind. All our top models are top-notch and will support you in your new culinary journey!