When it comes to sharpening stones, wear is inevitable. With time, your sharpening stone may lose its original shape and this may lower its overall performance.
Additionally, sharpening stones that are not flat enough can damage the edges of your knives. However, you can avoid this using the high-quality flattening stones that we have highlighted below.
By using a flattening stone, you can easily restore curved or slant sharpening stones to their original form with just a few passes.
The lapping stones that we have reviewed are made of high-performance abrasives that will help you get the job done within the shortest time possible.
To add to this, some of the stones come with additional accessories that will make your work easier when shaping your sharpening stones.
11 Best Flattening Stone
Our Top Pick: Culinary Obsession Flattening Stone
- 🔷 DESIGNED TO KEEP YOUR SHARPENING STONE IN OPTIMAL CONDITION! Maintaining a flat and level whetstone or waterstone is essential to being able to sharpening your knives evenly for peak performance. Our flattening stone’s coarse grit silicon carbide surface is designed to precisely repair and level your whetstone in a matter of seconds!
- 🔷 THE PERFECT FLATTENING STONE! Our repair stone comes with factory precision cut grooves that are specially designed to collect material removed from your whetstone. This unique groove feature provides a much more accurate leveling process. Also, our leveling stone’s large abrasive surface is perfectly size matched to expediently accomplish the flattening process with an efficient number of passes. Don’t be fooled by smaller nagura stones that cannot provide the same degree of precision!
The flattening stone from Culinary Obsession is precision engineered for performance, and that is exactly why we chose it as our top pick.
Additionally, the stone is made of premium quality silicon carbide that offers great wear resistance. As such, you can go for this product knowing that it will deliver long-lasting service.
Being one of the flattening stones that we tested, you can go for this flattener without worrying about anything.
To make it even better, it comes from a reputable brand that knows all the dos and don’ts when it comes to designing flattening and sharpening stones. This particular model is specially designed for shaping and leveling whetstones.
When used correctly, this lapping stone will help you repair the surface of your sharpening stone without causing any damage.
Moreover, the coarse grit grinding surface features precision-cut grooves that will provide you with exceptional results.
Plus, the grooves are designed in such a way that they cannot clog during usage, so you’ll be able to move the stone effortlessly along the surface of your sharpening stone.
The other thing that we liked about this flattening stone is that it comes with additional accessories that will help you hone your knives to the preferred sharpness.
With that being said, you will get a green buffing/polishing compound and a sharpening strop paddle upon purchase.
More on the polishing compound, it is very easy to apply since you only have to rub it against the surface of the strop and you will be good to go.
- Well designed
- Built to last
- Easy to work with
- Wears down with time
Best Dual Grit: Sharp Pebble Large Flattening Stone
- ⛩ Double Side Flattening Stone: This innovative Flattening Stone is different from any other flattening stone in the market. It is a two-sided, dual grit, diamond grid flattening system designed to produce excellent flat surfaces on sharpening stones. Built from high-quality silicon carbide the flattening stone particles help in cutting sharpening stones material precisely. This makes it ideal for flattening as it cuts quicker and wears slower making it extremely strong and durable
- 💎 Unique Design: Specially designed Diamond shaped grid pattern of the grooves quickly and efficiently removes only waste material while flattening any type of sharpening stones, whetstones, Oil Stones or Ceramic Stones
Next on our review list is Sharp Pebble’s high-performance flattening stone. This lapping stone has a large surface area and will allow you to re-level your sharpening stone within the shortest time possible.
To add to its list of features, it is dual-sided, so you can use the grit that matches the task description.
Furthermore, the flattening surfaces are of 120 grit and 320 grit. The former can prove helpful when leveling coarse whetstones while the latter will provide you with a fine finish.
You can use either side depending on the design of your sharpening stone. Besides, the flattening surfaces are distinctively colored for easy identification.
Like the product before it, this stone is made of silicon carbide, so you can rest assured that it won’t wear down easily. Its unique diamond grid leveling system will enable you to flatten sharpening stones with exact precision.
In addition to this, the stone delivers superior cutting power, allowing for easy and quick flattening.
The grooves will ensure that the sharpening stone is flattened evenly by channeling the removed material from the surface. That way, each pass that you make will transform the surface of your sharpening stone to its original form.
This flattening stone enables users to work smart and not hard, so you won’t have to apply a lot of effort to get the job done.
To top it all up, this flattener is larger compared to most flattening stones on the list, thus making it even more convenient.
- Innovatively designed
- The package is not inclusive of a polishing compound
Most Versatile: Norton 69936687444 Flattening Stone
- Precisely level with a hard bond, to flatten and refresh waterstone surfaces
- Coarse-grit silicon carbide for maximum cutting power
This flattening stone can work on virtually all grits of waterstones, making it one of the versatile options that you can add to your kit. It has diagonally placed grooves that will make your work easier when leveling different types of whetstones.
The coarse-grit flattening surface will provide you with maximum grinding power in all scenarios, so each pass that you make will count.
With the groves in place, you won’t have to worry about loading since the debris will be removed, thereby leaving the surface flat.
The silicon carbide used in making this flattening stone is of high quality, so you can buy this product having full assurance that it will serve you well. It won’t damage or wear down your sharpening stone, provided that you use it correctly.
Also, it comes with a detailed instructional manual that will guide you on how best you can flatten your stones without causing damage.
Thanks to its easy-to-use design, you won’t experience any problem when working with this flattener.
More to this, the stone comes at a favorable price, thus making it a suitable option for all users. The flattening area is precision-engineered to ensure that you get quality results at all times.
When you buy this flattening stone, you will also get a plastic case that you can use during storage.
- Good quality
- Has a wide flattening area
- Likely to warp if stored poorly
Best for Wet and Dry Grinding: SCOTTCHEN Diamond Flattening Stone
- 【Application】This diamond flattening stone is designed to Flat and re-level whetstone、oilstone、waterstone, or be used to re-bevel an edge of hatchet、axe、machete、spade、shears etc.
- 【Highly recommended】This diamond flattening stone was highly recommended by a YouTube account Oxtoolco (Mr. Tom Lipton) in the YouTube machinist community. Video title: Grandpa’s Swayback Bench Stone Restoration. Video location: 4’30”.
The precision re-leveling stone from Scottchen has useful features that will simplify your work when it comes to flattening sharpening stones. It comes with amazing features that will enable you to grind stones evenly without damaging the sharpening area.
This flattener is dual-sided, so you can switch from one grit size to another at will. It has a 120 grit abrasive surface and a 180 grit flattening area, both of which can come in handy in different situations.
To add to this, each of the sides is conveniently labeled for identification purposes. That way, you’ll be able to find the grit size that you intend to use without wasting any time.
This lapping stone can work in both dry and wet conditions, so you can use it when shaping waterstones, oil stones, just to mention but a few.
Both grits are resistant to wear and are also durable. Included in the package is a sturdily built ABS core that will ensure the flattening plates stay in place when you are working. As such, you won’t have to adjust it after making each pass.
When working with the stone in wet conditions, ensure that you clean and dry both sides afterward to ensure that it stays in good condition. For its price, this flattening stone works better compared to most flatteners in its class.
- Low profile
- Practical design
- Some parts are made of plastic
Best Coarse Grit: Nordstrand Flattening Stone
- Precision tool to level, flatten and refresh sharpening stone surfaces
- Traditional techniques with modern Japanese manufacturing technologies
You can easily re-level your sharpening stone using this high-quality flattening stone by Nordstrand.
It is compatible with all types of whetstones, so you can use it on water stones, oil stones, etc. This lapping plate is very easy to hold thanks to its large surface area.
As such, it won’t slip from your grasp when you are working. The stone is made of carborundum, commonly known as silicon carbide, so it won’t wear down prematurely.
And since it features a rough grit surface, it will allow you to remove more material while applying minimal effort.
The surface of the stone is grooved to maximize performance by ensuring the peeled material is channeled away during the flattening process.
Moreover, the grooves are deep, so they won’t clog easily when leveling stones. The grinding surface is reinforced to increase the stone’s overall cutting power, making it even easier to use.
Because the surface of this stone is exceptionally flat, it will grind the sharpening stone accurately, thus delivering quality results.
- Easy to use
- Not as heavy
- Aggressive grinding
- Single grit design
Best Multi-Purpose: Angerstone Dual Grit Coarse/Fine Flattening Stone
- ▶【PREMIUM WHETSTONE FLATTENER KIT】Our whetstone leveler set comes with one coarse lapping stone and one fine wet stone fixer, they can remove waste material while flattening any type of sharpening stones, Oil Stones or Ceramic Stones.
- ▶【MULTIPURPOSE USE】This sharpening stone fixer not only can re-level your knife sharpening stone, it also can restore the shape of chipped knives. Revive previously damaged-beyond-repair knives and make them the sharpest ones around.
This lapping stone is just as versatile as the Norton 69936687444, making it yet another reliable option that you can consider using when leveling sharpening stones.
The flattening area is grooved to maximize the grinding power while the other side is flat and can assist you when restoring the edges of chipped blades.
Aside from that, you will also get a 320 grit stone that can come in handy when removing scratches that may have been left by the 150 grit flattening stone.
At 7.08 x 2.36 inches, this lapping stone can level just about any sharpening stone that is smaller than it.
By using this flattening stone, you will be able to re-level your sharpening stone in three easy steps without relying on additional tools. All you have to do is to rub the lapping stone back and forth against the surface of the stone that you are leveling.
Furthermore, its use can apply when working with sharpening stones that are between 100 and 10,000 grit.
The fact that it offers both fine and coarse grit makes it even more reliable. It will allow you to restore your sharpening stone to a uniform finish. And the best part is that it won’t chip, and neither will it damage the edges.
- Dual grit
- Heavy duty
- Conveniently designed
- Prone to warping
Best Budget Buy: KnifePlanet Coarse Flattening Stone
- LEVEL UP – Dipped and uneven knife sharpening stones make honing your knives almost impossible. Level your loved and lopsided sharpening stone set with the Coarse Flattening Stone by KnifePlanet!
- BUILT TO ENDURE – Maximum peeling and rapid leveling are possible thanks to this flattening stone’s coarse and durable silicon carbide. From fine sharpening stones to gritty ones, smooth them all out with KnifePlanet!
The flattening stone from KnifePlanet is also another excellent option that you can consider adding to your sharpening bench.
It comes at a pocket-friendly price, making it a suitable option for users who are on a tight budget.
However, this does not mean that it is less effective compared to most of the stones that we have reviewed. In fact, it is one of the high-performance flattening stones that you can count on.
To make it even better, the stone is made of high-quality silicon carbide to ensure that users get a flattening stone that is both efficient and durable.
Plus, the grooves on the upper side will provide you with a smooth flattening experience when leveling different types of sharpening stones.
The good thing about this flattener is that it can reshape both fine and coarse grit sharpening stones. And like the flattening stone just before it, this lapping stone can as well be used when restoring damaged knives.
You can achieve this by using the non-grooved side since it is specially designed to handle such tasks. This stone offers maximum peeling power and will allow you to work faster without straining yourself.
What’s more, the stone has a favorable length and is equally wide, so you won’t have a hard time holding it.
- High density
- Easy to handle
- Well made
- Not ideal for leveling fine grit sharpening stones
Best High-End Flattening Stone: Shapton Diamond Glass
If you are after quality, this lapping plate may just end your search. Shapton presents you with a well-designed flattening plate that you can bank on when shaping sharpening stones.
This stone has amazing features and is also made of materials that are of superior quality. It is somewhat unique compared to most of the lapping stones that we have covered.
For starters, it comes with a strongly built base to increase stability during the sharpening process, so the stone won’t move about when you are working.
As the name suggests, the flattening area is made up of fine diamond particles that are embedded in molten glass. But, that is not all; it is also reinforced with nickel to prolong durability while increasing the stone’s performance.
Furthermore, the substrate is flat to +/- 5 microns and will provide you with a perfectly flat sharpening stone that you can depend on when honing your knives.
The cutting edges are precision machined, allowing for fast and easy peeling of material. This flattening stone is specially designed for Shapton ceramic stones, but you can use it on just about any grit size.
It offers exceptional wear resistance, making it super durable. Besides, the abrasive patterns are placed in such a way that you can move the stone in either direction and still get good results.
- Premium grade
- Exceptionally versatile
- Very efficient
- Not the cheapest option on the list
Best for Fine Finishing: Naniwa IO-1142 Flattening Stone
- This is for finishing grindstone.Particle size: Extra fine #220
- it is possible to continue sharpening to clean the kitchen knife at the grindstone
The Naniwa IO-1142 provides you with a 220 grit flattening surface that will completely change how you re-level sharpening stones.
This lapping stone will help you grind your sharpening stone to a smooth finish. It is designed with ultra-wide grooves that will ensure the resultant debris is channeled away, thus preventing the stone from clogging.
As such, the flattening stone will glide smoothly with minimal resistance, meaning you won’t have to apply a lot of effort when shaping sharpening stones.
The stone is not too wide, and neither is it too narrow, so you will be able to move it back and forth without losing your grip.
With this flattening stone, you can easily level curved or slant sharpening stones in a matter of minutes. Also, it is not as expensive compared to the flattening stone just before it.
The abrasive surface is hardened to increase the stone’s grinding power, so you won’t have a hard time reshaping unleveled stones.
Nevertheless, you have to keep in mind that this stone is designed for finishing tasks or when working with fine-grit whetstones stones.
- Delivers good results
- Good quality
- Professionally designed
- Not suitable for coarse grit sharpening stones
Best for Medium Grinding: CUISINEBEATS Flattening Stone
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - Made Of Silicon Carbide;Pressed At 200 mT And Baked Above 1200 C to Form A Solid Block; Stringent QA/QC Ensures Flatness Of All Stones Before It Leaves Our Factory, To Offer All Our Customers The Best Possible Experience
- FEATURES - Diagonal Channels Were Carefully Designed and Placed at Specific Angle, Spacing And Width To Remove Whetstone Material With Least Effort; Deep Channels Allow The Waste Material To Be Washed Away Quickly and Efficiently;FREE e-BOOK Incl
Made of high-grade silicon carbide, this flattening stone may just be what you need to keep your sharpening stones in good shape.
The grooves are strategically spaced and are also placed at an angle to increase performance. And the fact that they are wide makes them even better because all the waste material will be removed after the surface is peeled.
Moreover, the stone ships with a detailed user manual that you can use, especially if it’s your first time re-leveling a sharpening stone.
In addition to this, the abrasive surface is quality tested to ensure that you get a reliable product. This lapping plate is exceptionally lightweight for its size and is equally resistant to wear.
The backside features a flat design and can assist you when restoring damaged blades. You only have to place the cutting edge at the right angle to get the desired results.
This flattening stone will provide you with consistent results when working with oil stones,waterstones, ceramic stones, etc.
The 150 grit flattening surface is suitable for medium grinding and can as well be used for aggressive grinding.
- High performance
- Does not come with a strop
Best Entry-Level: Koja Two 2-Sided Diamond Flattening Stone
- ✔️ BEST VALUE - Our State-of-the-Art production facility lets us deliver the Best Quality at the Guaranteed Lowest Price anywhere in the Industry.
- ✔️ TWO STONES IN ONE - Use Coarse #120 Grit to Smooth you Whetstone or Waterstone before Fine Finishing with the #180 Grit. Dimensions 10" x 2.75" x .5”
The two-sided flattening stone by Koja features a straightforward design and is also labeled on both sides for your convenience. This makes it a suitable option for beginners and hobbyists.
To add to this, it has two grit sizes that you can use when shaping medium grit sharpening stones. You can use the 120 grit when smoothing your stones while the 180 grit can help you get a fine finish.
The materials from which this flattener is built are of superior quality, so you can buy it knowing that it will last.
Plus, the manufacturer has used cutting-edge technology to ensure that the abrasive surface is well bonded. As such, it can grind different grades of sharpening stones without experiencing wear.
More to this, it won’t warp, provided that you use and store it correctly. The core is strongly built to prevent breakage when the plate is in use.
If you are looking for an ultra-wide flattening stone, this is one of the options that you can go for.
Moreover, it is of good quality and is designed with your needs in mind. Both plates are detachable, so you can pop them out when cleaning the lapping stone.
- Lightweight design
- Sturdily built
- Dual grit
- The core is not as durable
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a flattening Stone do?
As the name suggests, a flattening stone is a special abrasive material that is used to re-level curved or slant sharpening stones that are no longer functional.
With the help of a flattening stone, you can easily reshape your sharpening stones to their original form without using any power tool.
Do all flattening stones need to be wet?
No. Some flattening stones can work in dry conditions, so you won’t have to soak them in water or oil before use.
What grit flattening stone should I use?
This will depend on the type of sharpening stone that you are using. As such, some sharpening stones may require you to use a coarse grit flattening stone while others can be leveled using fine grit stones.
Also, ensure that you follow the user instructions provided by the manufacturer to get maximum results.
How long should you soak a whetstone?
When re-leveling whetstones, ensure that you soak the stone for five minutes to get the maximum results.
What are flattening stones made of?
Flattening stones are designed differently, so it will all depend on the manufacturer.
Nonetheless, most lapping stones are made of silicon carbide since it is exceptionally tough and equally resistant to wear. However, some stones are made of diamond and plated in nickel.
If you are having a hard time using your sharpening stone, then you should consider re-leveling it using the high-quality flattening stones that we have listed above.
Most of the stones that we have hand-picked for you are made of silicon carbide, so you can rest easy knowing that they will get the job done. However, some are made of diamonds, so the final decision will be yours to make.