A boning knife can be an excellent addition to every chef’s cutlery collection. With the help of these knives, you can remove meat from bones while applying the least amount of effort.
Furthermore, most boning knives have precision cutting edges that will allow you to de-bone without damaging the meat.
Additionally, the blades are designed in such a way that the knives can cut close to the bone, so you will be able to slice large chunks of meat with a single pass.
The knives that we have included in our review list can come in handy when de-boning beef, chevon, fish, mutton, chicken just to mention but a few.
As such, you only have to choose the most appropriate knife for the task at hand and you will be good to go. In terms of usage, they can assist, gourmet cooks, professional chefs, culinary students, etc.
11 Best Japanese Boning Knife
Our Top Pick: Shun DM-0743 Classic Boning Knife
- Damascus-clad blade offers close, easy cutting; narrow blade reduces drag to perform boning and filleting tasks quickly; features authentic, high-performance VG-MAX steel to boost edge retention
- Easily fillet fish using razor-sharp blade; smoothly glide knife through body of fish to quickly remove bones and skin; 6-inch length moves easily through cut and expertly maximizes performance
Handcrafted by a manufacturer that is well known when it comes to making premium-grade knives, the Shun DM-0743 is not only durable but also reliable.
This knife is specially designed for deboning tasks, so you can go for it knowing that it will provide you with exceptional results.
We chose this knife as our best pick because it is easy to use, comes wicked sharp, efficient, and is also tough.
Additionally, its uniquely curved 6″ blade allows for flawless cutting, so you will be able to slice through the meat with minimal exertion.
Forged from Hi-carbon VG-MAX stainless steel, the blade offers excellent edge retention, great wear resistance, and is equally resistant to corrosion.
With that being said, the knife will stay in top-class condition for an extended period. Nonetheless, this will only apply if the blade is used and store correctly.
The Shun DM-0743 can particularly come in handy when deboning fish, but it can as well prove helpful when cutting other types of meat.
Moreover, it will provide you with professional-grade results in all scenarios, thus making it even more reliable.
The precision blade will allow you to trim close to the bone, thereby preventing unnecessary wastage when removing meat from bones.
On top of that, it is fitted with an ergonomic D-shaped Pakkawood handle that will allow you to work for long hours without experiencing any discomfort.
Its unique design prevents the knife from turning as you maneuver the blade, meaning you will have full control over this tool at all times.
- Expertly designed
- Beautifully crafted
- Doesn’t come with a storage box
Most Balanced: Global G-21 Boning Knife
- Lightweight, precisely balanced 6-1/4-inch boning Knife with flexible blade
- Edge retains razor sharpness exceptionally well, hand wash only, dry thoroughly
The 6.25″ boning knife by Global has amazing features that will help you get the work done within the shortest time possible. It features a single-piece design, making it extremely tough.
Plus, the blade is made of Cromova 18, a high-grade stainless steel that is virtually immune to rust and other corrosive elements.
More on the blade, it holds its edge very well, so you won’t have to sharpen it every now and then. Nevertheless, this may vary depending on the frequency of use.
The blade is ice-tempered for performance and has a hardness rating of 56-58 on the HRC scale. However, it still has a bit of flex and will enable you to make effortless maneuvers when cutting around bones.
Also, the handle and the blade are seamlessly attached to give you a fully functional knife that you can depend on when tackling heavy-duty deboning tasks.
In addition to this, the handle is dimple-patterned to maximize grip. As such, your fingers won’t slip when working with this knife.
Aside from that, it is smoothly contoured to increase user comfort, thus making it even more convenient.
With the right sharpener, you can easily hone the blade to a razor-sharp cutting edge with just a few strokes.
The other thing that we liked about the Global G-21 is that it offers a great balance between weight and performance, so you can fully count on it when handling tasks that may require you to cut with precision.
- Durable construction
- Non-slip design
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Full Tang: DALSTRONG Boning Knife
- A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and award-winning craftsmanship, cutting-edge breakthrough technology, awe-inspiring design, and the absolute best materials available. Peak performance never looked so good at this price.
- Unrivalled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished to a mirror polish within a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience
Dalstrong is also another reputable brand that you can rely on when buying knives. And that is exactly why we have included this high-performance boning knife in our review list.
The blade is expertly crafted with your cutting needs in mind, so you won’t experience any problem when using this cutting tool.
More to this, the materials from which the knife is made are of premium quality, thus making it super durable.
First off, the AUS-10 stainless steel used in making the blade offers good corrosion resistance and exceptional edge retention.
It won’t discolor, and neither will it break during usage, making it an ideal option for deboning and other demanding tasks.
The 6″ blade is mercilessly sharp and will allow you to cut through meat with ease. To boost its performance, the cutting edge is set at an angle of 8° to 12° on either side, allowing for smooth and effortless cutting.
Not just that, it is hand-finished for precision purposes, so you can rest assured all the cuts will come out exactly how you want them to. It also features a full-tang handle that is ergonomically designed with your comfort in mind.
Want to hear more? The handle is triple-riveted to increase stability and the blade’s overall performance. As a result, you’ll be able to apply maximum pressure to the handle without it detaching.
To add to its long list of features, the grip area is contoured, so it will fit perfectly in the palm of your hands. It’s also textured to minimize slippage, especially when working with wet hands.
- Non-stick blade
- Tapered bolster
- Robust design
- Dulls with continuous usage
Most Versatile: Regalia Boning Knife
- ✅ Looking for the Best Quality Boning & Fillet Knife on Amazon? Look no Further: Made from the finest materials known to mankind, this masterpiece of the professional kitchen is forged with an authentic Japanese AUS-10 “Super-Steel” cutting core to ensure flexibility and maximum edge retention without dulling or chipping. 66 layers of high carbon stainless Damascus steel cladding add beauty as well as resilience against both rusting and corrosion.
- ✅ Geometrically Perfect and Scary Sharp: The angles of this blade represent the pinnacle of design and the accumulation of millennia of Boning/Fillet knife making evolution. Finished to a mirror polish of within an astounding 8-12 degree angle per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method, this blade is viciously sharp. The precisely curved edge of this blade is ideal for slicing, skinning and trimming.
This boning knife is designed with a versatile blade that will provide you with good results when deboning or when tackling other tasks that may require you to use a curved blade.
Like the knife just before it, the tang covers the entire length of the handle, thereby increasing stability.
To add to this, it features a tri-rivet fastening system to increase durability. Besides, the center rivet is beautifully crafted, thus giving the knife an elegant appearance.
The core of the blade is made up of high-grade AUS-10 steel while the exterior layers are forged from high carbon stainless steel.
Since it is multi-layered, the cutting edge won’t chip even after being used repeatedly. What’s more, the blade is conveniently curved and also has a non-stick surface to prevent drag when slicing through meat.
In terms of aesthetics, the blade features an attractive Damascus cladding that adds to its toughness. It offers good wear resistance, great corrosion resistance, and holds its edge for a long period.
That is not all; it is very easy to sharpen, so you won’t have a hard time maintaining the cutting edge.
The military-grade G-10 handle on this knife is virtually impervious to heat, cold, and moisture, making it even more durable.
To top it all up, it has a non-slip design, so you won’t lose your grasp when handling the knife.
- Rust resistant
- Professionally designed
- No storage sleeve
Best Mid-Range: TUO TC0309DM Boning Knife
- AUS-10D Japanese super steel as core of the blade, combined with high carbon soft steel, keeping a maximum sharpness hardness, rustproof and long lasting performance, even if working in a wet environment all day. What a exclusive super beautiful and cool damascus pattern!!
- Sharpest Cutting Knife—You won't find a sharper knife anywhere else period. You'll be amazed how easy it is when chopping even the hardest of vegetables. This is a high-end Japanese style (TUO) cook’s knife with hammered finish (or tsuchime finish) and corrosion resistance stays sharp and clean. Its sleek design creates unmatched control and minimal slicing resistance.No tearing or squishing, only Ruthless Efficiency.
The Tuo TC0309DM is also another viable option that can assist you greatly when de-boning meat, chicken, fish, just to mention but a few.
Moreover, the AUS-10D Japanese steel used in the construction is of high quality and is equally reliable.
As such, the blade offers excellent edge retention and will save you from sharpening the knife every now and then. Besides, it comes pre-honed, so you can use it right out of the box.
Thanks to its sleek design, the blade can glide smoothly as you cut through the meat, so you won’t have to apply a lot of pressure to the handle.
In addition to this, it is tapered to maximize performance and is also hardened to prevent breakage.
The G-10 handle is uniquely designed to ensure that you get maximum comfort when working.
Also, it will give you maximum control in all cutting scenarios, so you will be able to cut with exact precision.
It also performs exceptionally when it comes to corrosion resistance, so the blade won’t stain over time.
Lastly, the knife is not as heavy, meaning you can easily maneuver the blade in either direction with minimal strain.
- Excellent craftsmanship
- Quality construction
- It is not full tang
Best Multi-function: Kitory Boning Knife
- 🔪SPECIAL DESIGNED BONING KNIFE - This pretty kitchen knife is a multifunctional kitchen cutlery. Kitory boning knife is built to ensures de-boning, skinning, filleting, trimming all your favorite meats, which is more efficient and satisfying. It is truly an ideal Gift for any Home or Professional Cook.
- 🔪RAZOR SHARP BLADE - This 7 Inch Boning knife is made from the high quality stainless steel, with an exceptional and enduring razor sharp edge on ultimate precision and performance in the kitchen.
Next up is the high-quality boning knife from Kitory. This tool has all the features that you may look for in a boning knife, so you can buy it having full assurance that it will serve you well.
To make it even better, it comes at a reasonable price and will provide you with a service that is worth what you pay for.
Most of the boning knives that we have covered in our review list are fitted with 6″ blades, but that does not apply to this product since it has a 7 ” blade that is specially designed for boning.
The blade is both sharp and narrow which is good for deboning since it can move between bones and flesh effortlessly with no resistance.
Plus, it is forged from high carbon steel and will provide you with great edge retention provided that the blade is used correctly.
Best of all, it offers excellent corrosion resistance, meaning you won’t have to worry about rust. This knife has been polished to a mirror-like finish to increase its aesthetic value.
Furthermore, it comes with a razor-sharp edge that is factory-sharpened for performance. We chose this knife because it can come in handy in different cutting scenarios.
Apart from deboning, you can as well use it for skinning and other cutting applications that may require the use of a blade of this type.
- Ergonomic Pakkawood handle
- Extremely tough
- Precision edge
- Not full tang
Best for Professional Use: Shun TDM0774 Premier Gokujo Boning Fillet Knife
- Premier Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife is ideal for removing bones from fish and creating thin slices
- Featuring a double-bevel flat-ground blade for durability and to move food away from the blade quickly
As stated earlier, Shun is one of the top boning knife manufacturers, and the TDM0774 is no different. This particular model is specially designed for de-boning fish, but that does not mean that you cannot use it for other cutting applications.
And like the Shun DM-0743, it comes with a 6″ curved blade that will allow you to remove bones from meat and fish without causing any damage.
The blade has up to 32 layers on each side and also has a tough VG-Max core that will provide you with maximum cutting power.
In addition to this, the blade features a double-bevel design, so it can be used by both left-handed and right-handed persons.
Moreover, the surface has non-stick properties and is, therefore, less likely to cause drag when cutting through food.
It has an attractive hammered finish and an extremely sharp edge that will simplify your work even when cutting tough meats.
And because it has a stainless steel construction, it won’t acquire rust, and neither will it stain when used in wet conditions.
Nonetheless, ensure that you keep the blade dry and clean after each use to increase its durability.
Like most professional-grade knives in its class, the Shun TDM0774 is fitted with a reliable Pakkawood handle that is not only tough but also ergonomic.
As if that is not enough, it feels good in the hands and is also non-slip. On the downside, the grip area is not textured, so your grip may not be as firm when holding the knife with wet hands.
- Well balanced
- Delivers good performance
- Factory sharpened
- A bit costly
Best for De-boning Fish: KYOKU Daimyo Series Boning Knife
- VG-10 JAPANESE SUPER STEEL - Manufactured with ultra-sharp VG-10 Japanese Damascus steel cutting core at HRC 58-60 hardness, this 7 in. crafted culinary boning knife comes with unrivaled performance and incredible edge retention; cobalt added VG-10 steel outperforms AUS-10 steel in durability and is easier to sharpen as cobalt enhance the other alloying elements.
- ERGONOMIC & WELL-BALANCED - The 7" boning knife—or "Honesuki"—is the perfect choice for meat preparation. Its flexible blade technology ensures de-boning, preparing, filleting, skinning, trimming, and butterflying your favorite meat is not only easier but also more efficient and satisfying.
Kyoku presents you with a well-crafted boning knife that will greatly increase your performance when cutting meat from bones. It comes with a tough 7″ VG10 stainless steel blade that is highly resistant to corrosion and wear.
To add to its toughness, the core is heavily reinforced with multiple layers of steel, so the blade won’t lose its edge easily.
Also, the blade is hand-honed to an ultra-sharp cutting edge that can deliver precise cuts. To make it even more reliable, the blade has a full tang design and is securely attached to the handle by three strong rivets.
The grip area is conveniently textured to ensure that your fingers stay in place throughout the de-boning process.
Another feature that is worth mentioning is that the blade is cryogenically treated to increase hardness. More to this, it has an HRC rating of 56-60, so don’t expect it to chip.
Included in the package is a sheath that you can use during storage. This knife comes at a favorable price and can assist professional chefs and beginners. It offers optimal knuckle clearance, thus making it a safe option for all users.
- Easy to clean
- Holds its edge well
- Mercilessly sharp
- The sheath needs improvement
Best High-End: Tojiro Flash Boning Knife
- Graduated smooth bolster design for comfort, balance and ease of sharpening
- Elegant Micarta handle with stainless steel inlay for stunning appearance
Featuring a VG-10 Japanese stainless steel construction, the boning knife by Tojiro offers a great balance between strength and flexibility, so you will be able to maneuver the blade according to your needs.
However, it is the most expensive knife on our review list. The blade is made through an advanced forging procedure to increase its overall hardness and cutting power.
Additionally, it has good edge retention and comes razor-sharp, so you won’t have to sharpen it before the first usage.
And because the blade has a low profile design, it can prove helpful when de-boning poultry and fish. Its use can also apply when trimming the fat from steak.
The cutting edge is finely ground and will enable you to make precise cuts with each move that the blade makes.
Attached to the blade is a well-designed micarta handle that will provide you with optimum comfort.
Furthermore, the handle and the blade are firmly mated, so they won’t come loose when you are using the knife.
In addition to being tough, the blade has great corrosion resistance, so it cannot be easily affected by rust and other corrosive elements. To sum it all up, the 6″ blade has an attractive Damascus pattern that is pleasing to look at.
- Has an HRC rating of 61
- Resistant to wear
- Comfortable handle
- Honing the blade is somewhat difficult
Best Value: Zelite Infinity Boning Knife
- SETTING THE NEW STANDARD FOR BONING KNIVES: Impress Guests with your Visually Stunning, Extreme Performance Premier Fillet Knife adding Refinement and Style to any Modern Kitchen! Minimal Slicing Resistance, Satisfying Heft, Full Tang & Premium Materials! Need a good Stiff-Bladed 6-Inch Knife for Fishing, Butchering Meat, on a Hunting trip, we have you covered! Set in a Premium Packaged Box, Value-for-Money Never Looked So Good!
- PREMIUM JAPANESE STEEL – RAZOR SHARP: Imported Japanese AUS 10 Super Steel with 67-layer High Carbon Stainless Steel – our 6inch Butchers Stiff Straight Edge Deboning Knife is Non-Stick, Boasts a Staggering Rockwell Hardness HRC 61 and is Liquid Nitrogen Cooled Improving even further the Stain, Rust / Corrosion Resistance & Edge Retention Properties!
You can easily remove meat from bones using this high-quality deboning knife. It comes with a sturdily built 6″ blade that can cut through virtually all types of meat without bending or breaking.
Plus, it is made of AUS-10 stainless steel, thus making it even more durable. As such, it can withstand just about anything that the kitchen environment may throw at it.
The edge won’t dull easily as long as you use the knife responsibly. To add to this, the cutting edge is set at 12°-15° per side to increase performance.
It offers long-lasting edge retention and is also resistant to wear. The bolster is tempered to maximize strength while the handle is triple-riveted for stability purposes.
Also, the center rivet features an attractive mosaic pattern, which gives the handle an elegant appearance. With this knife, you will be able to de-bone meat without damaging the steak.
Since the surface of the blade is non-stick, you won’t experience any resistance when cutting, thus providing you with a frustration-free user experience.
- Designed for performance
- The handle is ergonomically designed for user convenience
- Full tang
- May require sharpening after repeated use
Honorable Mention: TooSharp Damascus Boning Knife
- VALUEBLE, GIFT PACKAGING, UNRIVALLED PERFORMANCE >>> Don't compare on Price, You get what you Pay for! 12-15 Degrees Razor Sharp Edge for Maximum Sharpness & Safety. TooSahrp Damascus Semi-Stiff Blade, Perfect for Slicing Tomato, Carving Brisket, Trimming Steak, Filleting or Skinning Fish, removing Bone from Chicken, de-boning, butcher Meats, and more.
- UPGRADE STANDARD FOR BONING KNIVES >>> Minimal Slicing Resistance, Satisfying Heft, Full Tang & Premium Materials! Need a good Stiff-Bladed 6-Inch Knife for Fishing, Butchering Meat, on a Outdoor trip, we have you covered!
Closing our list of reviews is this amazing knife from TooSharp. The blade is made of superior quality Japanese AUS-10 steel and also has a unique Damascus-style pattern to increase its aesthetic appearance.
More to this, the cutting edge is specially shaped for de-boning, so you won’t encounter any problem when working with this knife.
It is designed with a full tang textured handle that delivers a solid grip. This knife comes with a semi-stiff 6″ stainless steel blade that allows users to cut through even the toughest meats while applying minimal effort.
And since it has a multifunctional design, you can use it when de-boning chicken, fish, meat, and can as well be used when trimming fatty steak.
This makes it an ideal option for all users since it will save you from using multiple knives when preparing food.
The blade will retain its razor-sharp edge for a long period, so all you have to do is to ensure that the knife is given proper care. Also, the manufacturer has included a sheath in the package for your convenience.
- Extremely sharp
- The sheath is not as durable
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I choose a boning knife?
The first thing that you should consider is the purpose for which you want to use the knife. If you are planning on de-boning fish, you should go for a knife with a long flexible blade.
On the other hand, boning knives for meat should be semi-stiff and not less than 6″ long.
What is the best boning knife?
The best boning knife is one that matches all your needs and is within your budget. With the help of the above review list, you can easily find a boning knife that fits both criteria.
Is a curved or straight boning knife better?
Both types of blades are reliable when it comes to removing meat from bones. However, curved blades will allow you to de-bone with the utmost precision, thanks to their unique design.
What is the best length for a boning knife?
This may vary depending on the size of the piece that you are cutting. Nonetheless, most de-boning tasks require blades that are between 6″ and 9″ long.
Should a boning knife be flexible?
Yes. But this only applies when de-boning fish and other delicate meats. When de-boning beef, pork, mutton, chevon, and other tough meats, you should use a stiff blade since this will boost your overall performance.
From our review list, it is clear that boning knives differ in terms of performance and also have varying features.
Some are specialized for de-boning fish while others work better on meat. Nevertheless, most of the knives that we have reviewed are versatile and can assist you in multiple ways.
As such, you are free to pick any of the knives. However, you need to ensure that the knife in question matches your needs.