Chopping onions can be quite challenging since they are slippery and can also make your eyes teary.
However, this should not stop you from flavoring your food with this nutritious vegetable.
When prepping onions, you should consider using a sharp knife that will allow you to make clean cuts.
With the right knife, you can chop, dice, mince, or slice the onion according to your preference without cutting your fingers.
The knives that we have hand-picked for you have long blades that will enable you to cut both small and large onion bulbs.
11 Best Knife for Chopping Onions
Our Top Pick: WÜSTHOF Classic Chef’s Knife
- KITCHEN WORKHORSE – The WÜSTHOF 8” Classic Chef’s Knife is essential for preparing any meal. This all-purpose cook’s knife can be used for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – The full Tang, Triple Riveted handles of the classic line offer the widest range of cutlery that can satisfy every home cook or professional chef. The WÜSTHOF classic series has been our best-selling series for generations
Featuring an 8″ high carbon stainless steel blade, the all-purpose chef’s knife from Wüsthof is both efficient and reliable.
This particular model comes from the Classic series and has amazing features that will completely change how you chop onions.
Moreover, the blade is specially designed for chopping, dicing, mincing, and slicing, so you can cut the onions in whichever way that you want. The blade offers excellent edge retention and great corrosion resistance.
Aside from that, it provides users with good knuckle clearance, so you’ll be able to use the knife without bumping your hand against the cutting board.
The knife is weighted to boost its overall performance and will allow you to cut different types of food while applying minimal pressure to the handle.
To make it even better, it features a full tang construction, thus providing you with stability and control. This will enable you to maneuver the blade with ease, allowing for smooth and effortless cutting.
The blade is tempered to an HRC rating of 58° and also has a reinforced spine that keeps the knife sturdy.
And since the blade and the tang are crafted from a single billet of steel, you won’t have to worry about the knife breaking.
The 4.5″ handle is ergonomically designed to give you a comfortable grip and will allow you to use the knife extensively without straining your wrist.
Also, the grip area is contoured to ensure that get a firm grip when handling the knife. Nonetheless, the price is a bit high compared to most of the knives that we have covered in our review list.
- Professionally crafted
- Razor-sharp edge
- Well balanced
- No storage box
Most Balanced: Global G-2 Chef’s Knife
- Lightweight, precisely balanced 8-inch or 20cm chef's knife
- Blade made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel
The Global G-2 is a favorite among chefs because it is versatile and durable. Like the knife before it, it features an 8″ blade but the only difference is that it is forged from Cromova 18 stainless steel.
That being said, it offers superior corrosion resistance, thanks to its high chromium content.
The blade is precision-honed on both sides for user convenience. As a result, the knife can be used by just about everyone, so it won’t matter whether you are a lefty or a righty, the G-2 will help you get the job done with minimal fuss.
More on the blade, it holds its edge well and is also resistant to wear. The cutting edge is steeply ground to give you a razor-sharp blade that you can rely on when chopping onions and other foods.
We highly recommend this knife to professional chefs since it is meticulously balanced and also has great features that will make your work easier when in the kitchen.
However, it can as well assist home cooks since it is easy to handle. Plus, it comes at a favorable price compared to most knives in its class.
The surface of the handle is dimpled to maximize traction between your fingers and the grip area, so the knife won’t shift in your hand as you make maneuvers. On top of that, it is conveniently molded with your comfort in mind.
- High-quality construction
- Doesn’t come with a sheath
Most Reviewed: Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
- For home chefs & professionals. This Fibro Pro chef's knife has been the top choice of both home chefs and professionals alike. Expertly crafted with a tapered stainless steel edge that cuts with ease and efficiency.
- Fit for all tasks. Designed to handle kitchen tasks both big and small, This durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. An essential for every kitchen.
The Victorinox 45520 has the most reviews on our review list and also comes from a reputable brand that is known for crafting high-grade knives.
It comes with a specially designed blade that will allow you to make cuts with ease. Besides, the blade is slightly curved upward and will allow you to chop in a rocking motion.
In addition to this, the materials from which this knife is made are of excellent quality, so you can go for this tool knowing that it will last.
The blade is crafted from stainless steel to increase durability and the knife’s overall performance.
You will be happy to know that the blade comes pre-sharpened, so you can use the knife immediately upon its arrival.
It retains its edge well and also offers good corrosion resistance, meaning the blade won’t discolor or stain over time.
Furthermore, the extra-wide blade can assist you when transferring the chopped onions from the cutting board to the frying pan.
The knife is fitted with a durable TPE handle that will provide you with a solid grip even when working with wet hands.
To add to this, the grip area is not only textured but is also contoured. This knife is designed with your cutting needs in mind, so you can fully rely on it when tackling various kitchen tasks that may require you to use a chef knife.
- High-performance knife
- Easy to sharpen
- Non-slip handle
- Not full tang
Best All-Rounder: Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional SKitchen Knife
- QUALITY MANUFACTURING: Manufactured in Germany. Special formula high carbon no stain steel. Sigma forge knife is forged from a single piece of solid steel
- RESILIENT BLADE: Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade starts sharper stays sharper longer and has superior resilience
Crafted from high carbon stainless steel, this kitchen knife provides you with a long list of features that will prove helpful when chopping a wide range of foods, including onions.
The blade is professionally crafted in such a way that users can maneuver it with the utmost ease when cutting through food.
Additionally, it comes ultra-sharp, so you can use this knife right out of the box. It will deliver commendable results in all cutting scenarios, making this one of the dependable knives that you can consider adding to your cutlery collection.
The cutting edge is conveniently beveled at 15° on either side to maximize efficiency. More to this, it is easy to sharpen, so you can grind it to your preferred level of sharpness with just a few strokes.
This knife is designed with a full-size tang that will provide you with more leverage, especially when cutting through tough foods. The handle is triple-riveted and is also contoured for a non-slip user experience.
The manufacturer cares about your safety, and that is exactly why the knife is fitted with a finger guard. With this feature in place, your fingers will be well safeguarded against accidental cuts.
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to maneuver
- 57 HRC
- The blade dulls with repeated usage
Honorable Mention: Imarku Chef Knife
- High-carbon stainless steel blade-It is manufactured from high-quality stainless steel that maintains its functionality for a long time. And to boost its sturdiness, the steel contains 0.6-0.75 carbon. This makes it two times as hard as other knives in its class as they contain about 0.3% carbon
- Multi-functional knife-The gyutou knife is classified and designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications .It cuts,dices,slices,chops and also cuts meat off bones. It comes with a HRC( Rockwell Hardness Scale) of 56-58 which makes it among the tough knives in its class
Next up is the high-performance chef knife by Imarku. It comes with an 8″ 7Cr17Mov stainless steel blade that will provide you with exceptional results when chopping onions.
This knife has a stylish design and is also efficient, so it can an excellent addition to your kitchen.
It offers superior edge retention, meaning you won’t have to sharpen the blade from time to time.
But, that is not all; it is highly resistant to rust and other destructive elements, thus making it even more durable.
The blade features a mirror-like finish and a reinforced spine for increased durability. To add to this, the edge is precision ground, so you can even use this knife when cutting delicate foods.
It will provide you with maximum cutting power, thereby allowing you to cut through tasks within the shortest time possible.
The knife is bolstered to increase stability and is also weighted to create balance. As such, you won’t experience any problem when maneuvering the blade.
More on the blade, it is tempered to 56-58 HRC, so the cutting edge won’t chip during usage.
The pakkawood handle is securely mated with the blade to ensure that it does not come loose when you are slicing through food.
Thanks to its ergonomic design, you won’t experience any kind of discomfort when using this knife.
The knife is meticulously balanced and also feels good in the hand. Lastly, the ultra-sharp blade will allow you to cut through both soft and tough foods with minimal exertion.
- Expertly crafted
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Budget Buy: SHAN ZU Kitchen Knife
- 🔪 PERFECT FOR ALL CUTTING TASKS:It is designed to be suitable for various cutting applications,It’s maneuverable enough to chop mint leaves, slice carrots, and peel butternut squash, offering clean cuts without requiring perfect form，prevent food from sticking to the blade.
- 🔪 HIGH CARBON GERMAN STEEL:Precisely forged by top quality High Carbon German Steel,5Cr15MoV,this blade consists of approximately 0.5% carbon and 15% chrome material,it comes with a HRC ( Rockwell Hardness Scale) of 55-57 which makes it wear resistance, durability,rust and stain resistance,etc
We recommend this knife to users who are on a tight budget because it comes at a fairly low price compared to most of the knives that we have reviewed.
Nevertheless, that does not mean that it is not reliable. It has a strongly built 8″ blade that is constructed from high carbon German steel, so you can for this knife knowing that it will hold its edge even after it has been used repeatedly.
Additionally, it has a sleek design and is also easy to maneuver, thus making it even more efficient.
The blade is tapered to a razor-sharp cutting edge that will enable you to chop, dice, mince, and slice without breaking a sweat.
This knife requires minimal maintenance, so you will only be required to clean the blade after each use.
The steel from which the blade is made contains a high level of chromium, meaning it won’t be easily affected by rust.
Plus, the tang covers the entire length of the handle, thereby providing users with maximum control when tackling tasks.
The handle scales are held in place by three compression rivets that are strategically placed to increase stability.
And like most knives on our list, this knife is fitted with a finger guard for user safety. The bolster not only creates a seamless transition between the handle and the blade but also reinforces the knife. As such, the handle won’t come loose in between the cutting session.
- Double bevel
- Ambidextrous design
- Built to last
- Prone to dulling
Best Full Tang: Messermeister Meridian Elite Stealth Chef’s Knife
- The Chef’s knife is the workhorse in every kitchen and is used for 90% of all your cutting tasks. The Messermeister Meridian Elité 8” Stealth Chef’s Knife has an industrial strength polyoxymethylene or “POM” handle. The hand forged Stealth blade is about 25% thinner and 10% lighter than our traditional chef’s knife. It has been ground to a thin profile to create a razor sharp edge. You can chop, slice, dice and mince your way through extended cutting tasks without fatigue.
- The Messermeister Meridian Elité knife collection defines tradition with a triple rivet, full-exposed tang handle. These knives are of the finest German stainless steel alloy and fitted with the most durable industrial strength, ergonomic handle in the world. Meridian Elité knives are handcrafted and polished one at a time using the same techniques that have been the hallmark of fine Solingen-made cutlery that have stood the test of time.
You can effortlessly chop onions using this full tang chef’s knife from Messermeister.
Everything about this knife speaks quality, so you can buy this product without worrying about anything.
The blade is lighter compared to most knives in its class and will allow you to make precision cuts when slicing through food.
Also, the belly is slightly curved, so you can move the knife in a rocking motion, allowing for quick and easy cutting.
The blade is forged from high-quality X50CrMoV15 to ensure that you get a knife that highly resistant to corrosion and rust.
To make it even better, it has excellent edge retention and is also resistant to wear. The edge is finely ground to create a razor-sharp cutting surface that will enable you to make clean cuts.
In addition to this, both the tang and the blade are tempered to prevent breakage. Besides, the blade features a one-piece construction in that it is crafted from a single block of steel.
The ergonomic handle is made of tough industrial-grade polyoxymethylene that will provide you with long-term durability.
To top it all up, the surface of the blade is smoothly polished to ensure that food does not stick to the knife.
- Good quality
- Has a wide blade
- Easy to hone
- Doesn’t come with a storage case
Best High-End: Shun Classic Chef’s Knife
- VG-MAX steel is a formula exclusive to Shun with extra tungsten for a sharper edge, more chromium for corrosion resistance and additional cobalt and carbon for strength and durability
- Handle is ebony PakkaWood; PakkaWood is a hardwood infused with resin for a durable, water resistant finish, perfect for easy cleaning and tough enough for constant use
Shun makes some of the best knives but the only problem is that most of the knives come at a high price. However, that shouldn’t worry if you are after quality.
This particular model features an 8″ VG-Max stainless steel blade that is designed for performance.
As such, it can slice through onions like butter. It has a pronounced cutting edge that is not only razor-sharp but also tough.
That being said, the blade won’t lose its sharpness easily provided that you use the knife correctly. Moreover, you can re-sharpen it using regular knife sharpeners.
To make it even more durable, the blade contains both chromium and carbon. The former increases corrosion resistance while the latter boosts strength.
Plus, the knife has a thick spine, so the blade won’t bend when pressure is applied to the handle. And because the blade is hardened from heel to tip, chances of it breaking are very minimal.
It will enable you to power through tasks without straining yourself. The rear end of the blade is raised to give you good knuckle clearance.
Additionally, the pakkawood handle is molded for comfort and also has a non-slip design for user convenience.
What’s more, the surface of the handle is laminated, so it is virtually impervious to moisture.
- The knife is easy to clean
- Taper-ground to increase efficiency
- The blade comes ultra-sharp
- Not the cheapest option on the list
Best Non-Stick: Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Kitchen Knife
- 2.5mm blade. The added dimples help the knife to glide through sticky foods such as potatoes, apples, and summer squash
- Lightweight. Knife Length- 12.63 inches
Mac knife provides you with a sturdily built kitchen knife that can assist you in countless ways.
The blade is conveniently dimpled on either side to minimize resistance when cutting through food. This unique feature can particularly prove helpful when slicing sticky foods such as onions.
More to this, it is extremely lightweight, so you can maneuver it without straining your wrist.
The other feature that is worth mentioning is that the knife has a full tang design and is also riveted at three points.
With the bolster in place, the blade won’t come loose during usage. It offers good edge retention and also performs well when it comes to corrosion resistance. And because the rear end of the handle is curved, your hand won’t slip.
Aside from being thick, the blade is tempered to prolong durability. Also, it is easy to hone, so you can effortlessly edge the knife in case it goes dull.
The hollow ground cutting edge will allow you to make smooth cuts when handling delicate foods.
This knife has a long handle that will provide you with a secure grip regardless of whether your hand is wet or dry.
The contours increase the surface area for maximum grip, so you will have full control over the knife at all times.
- Cuts effortlessly
- Designed to last
- Professional grade
- Not dishwasher safe
Most Versatile: Misen MK-1011-2 Chef Knife
- A Kitchen Staple: The Misen Chefs Knife is the definition of versatility. Perfectly balanced and ultra sharp — this tool will quickly become your new go-to. Replace that old, dull knife-set with one quality blade you'll actually use.
- Premium Steel: The cooking knife is crafted from AICHI AUS-10 steel which offers a superior balance between long lasting sharpness and durability with 2x the carbon content of some other “premium” knives.
The MK-1011-2 by Misen combines versatility and efficiency to give you a high-performance knife that you can use for chopping, slicing, dicing, and mincing.
To make it even more reliable, the blade is quality tested to ensure that you get a knife that is both tough and durable.
The 8″ AUS 10 stainless steel blade offers excellent corrosion resistance and is also easy to sharpen.
Plus, it stays sharper longer, making it dependable. The fact that it contains a high amount of carbon makes it even better because the blade won’t give in to pressure.
Want to hear more? The edge is beveled at 15°, allowing for precision cutting. This will enable you to cut the onions thinly without encountering any problems.
The blade has non-stick properties, so the chopped pieces won’t cling onto the knife.
Attached to the blade is a long handle that offers a firm and comfortable grip. The rivets securely hold the handle scales in place, thereby enhancing stability.
This knife also has a sloped bolster that will provide you with a reliable grip.
- Excellent quality
- Innovatively designed
- Not triple-riveted compared to most full tang knives on the list
Best Mid-Range: Zelite Infinity Chef Knife
- SEASONED CHEFS AND HOME COOKS WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE IMMEDIATELY – The well weighted chef’s knife with rounded handles requires minimal effort whether you’re chopping, slicing, dicing or mincing. Grip the ergonomically designed handles comfortably with large or small hands and minimize wrist tension. The finest kitchens in Japan consider a proper gyoto knife the ultimate multi-functional tool for beginner and pro cooks to strive.
- OUR COMPETITORS WILL ADMIT WE ARE NOT THE SAME - Beware of cheaper santoku and Chef’s knifes that look similar but the difference will show within weeks. Our military grade G10 handle and real 67 layer high carbon Japanese AUS-10 stainless steel is handcrafted by the most experienced knife specialists in the world. This full tang, double bevel knife was finished using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke Method and is considered the gold standard in our industry
This knife is efficient, sturdy, and durable, so it can be a great addition to your kitchen. And like the knife just before it, the blade is crafted from AUS-10 for durability purposes.
In addition to this, the blade is weighted and will enable you to cut while applying the least amount of effort when chopping.
This makes it an ideal option for professional chefs and home cooks who prepare large meals on a regular basis.
It has great edge retention, so you can use the knife multiple times without re-sharpening the blade.
Moreover, the blade is made up of multiple layers of steel, so don’t expect it to break when you are working.
You will receive this knife with an ultra-sharp edge that you can put to use right away after unboxing the product.
The edge is hand-sharpened by professional craftsmen, so the blade will deliver clean cuts in all scenarios. Since the blade is double-beveled, you can cut with either side. It comes with a durable G10 handle that provides users with a secure grip.
- Ergonomic design
- Has an attractive finish
- Full tang
- Dulls quickly
Frequently Asked Questions
What knife is best for cutting onions?
If you are looking for a knife that can help you cut through onions with ease, you should consider going for chef knives or santoku knives with hollow ground edges.
These knives have reliable blades that will allow you to cut with no drag even when slicing sticky foods.
Should you use a serrated knife for onions?
Serrated knives are not efficient when it comes to chopping onions because the serrations won’t deliver clean cuts.
How do you cut an onion without it sticking to the knife?
The best way to go about this is by cutting the onion in a rocking motion by pushing the knife up and down as you pull on the blade.
As a result, the surface of the blade won’t be in contact with the pieces of onion that you have already chopped compared to when you cut the regular way.
What size of knife is best for cutting onions?
Most users prefer chef knives that are between 8 and 10 inches long since they allow for fast and easy cutting.
What is the fastest way to cut an onion with a knife?
Cutting an onion can be a bit difficult if you hold the onion the wrong way. To make your work easier, you can start by dividing the onion bulb into two halves.
After that, you should make vertical slits on one of the pieces. When you are done, make one or three horizontal slits depending on how large or small the onion is.
The last step involves chopping the onion into smaller pieces whereby you are required to hold the onion firmly against the surface of the cutting board as you slice through it in a rocking motion. Repeat this process with the other half and you will be done in no time.
You can make your work easier when cutting onions by using the high-performance knives in our detailed review list.
We have only gone for chef knives because they are efficient, reliable, sturdy, and equally durable. Best of all, they are versatile, so you can use them when cutting other foods.