Using a dull knife is not only time-wasting but also dangerous. And the good news is that you can safely edge your knife to its factory form using a sharpener.
However, there are several factors that you should consider before settling on a particular knife sharpener.
That being said, you have to research the features, price range, durability, etc. The entire process can be a bit daunting, especially if you are on a tight schedule.
Talking of price range, most knife sharpeners in the market are very expensive, so the prices may go beyond your budget.
Nonetheless, we’ve managed to compile some of the favorably-priced sharpeners that you can consider using. To add to this, the sharpeners cost less than $30, making them suitable for all users.
11 Best Knife Sharpener under $30
Our Top Pick: Gorilla Grip Premium Knife Sharpener
- Extremely Quick and Easy to Use: don’t let sharpening your knives be an intimidating process; designed with your comfort in mind, the ergonomic handle allows for an easy, soft grip while you sharpen; easy enough for even first timers to use, but effective enough for professional chefs
- 3 Sharpening Options: innovative 3 slot design helps to restore your knives to new; choose from the polish, sharpen, or repair slot to restore dull blades and help return them back to their factory quality in mere seconds
This three-stage knife sharpener has all the features that you may look for in a sharpening tool. For starters, it is extremely efficient and will help you hone your blade to a razor-sharp edge with just a few strokes.
Additionally, this sharpener is easy to work with, so you won’t experience any problems during the sharpening process. The materials used in the construction are not only reliable but also durable.
As such, this equipment can sharpen knives that are made of different types of steel without it getting damaged.
The sharpening slot can help you remove burrs from blades, thus restoring the cutting edge to its original form. And the fact the abrasive material is made of tungsten steel makes it even more durable since it won’t scuff, and neither will it dent during usage.
On the other hand, the repair slot is fitted with diamond abrasives that will allow you to straighten and sharpen the edges of your knives without damaging the blade.
The third slot features soft ceramic rods that are designed for polishing applications.
Moreover, all three slots are labeled for easy identification. This not only eliminates guesswork but also gives you quick access to the slot that you intend to use.
With this sharpener, you can effortlessly hone any kitchen knife with a non-serrated blade, so it can be an excellent addition to your maintenance kit.
The base is both rubberized and textured to prevent slippage while sharpening knives. Also, the handle is ergonomically contoured for user comfort.
- Built for performance
- Heavy-duty design
- Affordable price
- Not suitable for serrated blades
Best for Straight and Serrated Blades: KitchenIQ 0009 2 Stage Knife Sharpener
- Coarse for dull and damaged knives
- Fine for polishing the knife and for quick touch-ups for an already sharp knife
This sharpener has the most reviews on the list and is also one of the cheapest options that you can consider buying.
Thanks to its straightforward design, users won’t have a hard time when sharpening knives. It is fitted with both coarse and fine sharpening rods, so you can use the slot that matches your needs.
The former can assist you when honing damaged or dull blades, while the latter is more suited for polishing applications.
With that being said, you can use the fine rods after the knife has passed through the coarse slot.
Both slots are efficient and will allow you to set the edge of your blade to the preferred cutting angle with 3-4 strokes.
Unlike most sharpeners on the list, this 2-stage sharpener is suitable for serrated and non-serrated blades.
The base has a V-slot design, which allows the sharpener to grip onto the edges of counters, allowing for non-slip performance. To add to this, the grip area is recessed for user convenience.
Furthermore, the rods are precision-built to ensure that the blade is honed uniformly. This tool can sharpen both small and large knives without dragging the blade on the surface of the counter.
- Compact design
- Well designed
- Lightweight and portable
- Only has two sharpening stages
Best Professional-Grade: PriorityChef PCKN007S Premium Knife Sharpener
- A New Start For Old Knives - Give your carbon or stainless steel knives a new lease of life with our professional knife sharpeners, best for keeping your straight-edge kitchen, hunting knives, pocket blade, and scissors honed for a sharp edge
- Easy as 1-2-3 - The best knife sharpeners follows an easy expert process. Tungsten carbide restores. Diamond rods straighten and smooth. Ceramic rods polish and maintain. There’s no guesswork here, just razor-sharp knives
The knife sharpener from PriorityChef features a four-stage sharpening system that will greatly boost your performance when honing knives.
This tool can prove helpful when sharpening stainless steel and carbon blades, but it can as well come in handy when honing ceramic.
However, when honing ceramic knives, you should avoid the tungsten carbide rods since they can burr the edges of your knife. Instead, you should make use of the restorative and polishing slots.
And the best thing about is that it can repair, polish, hone, and restore damaged blades to factory quality.
This sharpener can also be used when honing scissors, and any other blade that can fit into the available slots.
Plus, the rods are set at the right sharpening angle to ensure that the blade stays in contact with the abrasive surface throughout the honing process.
Included in the package is a set of instructions that will guide you on how best you can use the sharpener to get maximum results.
As an upgrade to the earlier version, this equipment has more slots compared to the former, thus making it convenient for users.
To make it even better, the PCKN007S is ideal for all straight-edge knives, so you can use it on kitchen knives, hunting knives, and many more. This sharpener comes with a cut-resistant glove for user safety.
- Practical design
- Non-slip base
- Can only sharpen non-serrated knives
Best for Fillet Knives: Smith’s CCKS 2-Step Knife Sharpener
- Crossed Carbide Blades Provide Quick Edge Setting
- Crossed Ceramic Rods Provide a Razor Sharp Edge
Smith’s CCKS two-step sharpener is also another viable option that you can use when sharpening your knives.
It performs exceptionally when it comes to sharpening fillet knives, but it can also be used on other types of knives.
The slots are fitted with durable abrasive rods that will provide you with long-lasting service.
This sharpener has coarse carbide blades that will help you restore damaged cutting edges, while the opposite side is equipped with ceramic rods that you can use when polishing the already sharpened blades.
The rods and the blades are crossed at pre-set angles to increase the sharpener’s overall performance. Not just that, the housing is diamond-textured to give you a secure grip.
Additionally, the feet are rubberized to ensure that the sharpener stays in place when it is in use.
The sharpener is not only lightweight but also compact, so you can take it with you on your next camping expedition to keep the edges of your knives ultra-sharp.
It does not take up a lot of storage space and is equally easy to use. What’s more, it won’t cause any damage to your knife provided that you use it correctly.
- Versatile design
- Quality construction
- Effective sharpening
- The abrasive rods will wear out with repeated use
Best for Double-Bevel Blades: AccuSharp Knife Sharpener
- EASY TO USE KNIFE SHARPENER: This is the perfect knife sharpener for chef’s knives, paring knives, serrated knives, filet knives, cleavers – you name it. If you own a knife, you need this sharpener.
- GET A SHARP EDGE IN 10 SECONDS: A sharp blade makes it easier to get work done quickly and safely. The innovative AccuSharp Knife Sharpener lets you sharpen most blades in around ten seconds.
If you are looking for a versatile knife sharpener, this product may just end your search. It has an easy-to-use design and is suitable for honing straight edge and serrated blades.
By using this equipment, you can easily sharpen paring knives, chef knives, utility knives, etc.
The sharpening blades are crafted from diamond-honed tungsten carbide to increase performance. Tungsten carbide is not only tough but also offers great wear resistance.
On top of that, the blades are reversible, allowing for prolonged usage. This equipment has a solid construction, so all the parts will stay in one piece during usage.
It features a large ergonomic handle that provides users with a firm grip. For your safety, the manufacturer has designed the sharpener with a full-length finger guard, so the blade won’t cut your fingers as you make passes.
If used the right way, this tool will allow you to sharpen your knife in a matter of seconds. Plus, it is lightweight, meaning it won’t weigh you down.
Lastly, it is available in different colors, so you can choose the shade that matches your taste and preference.
- Durable construction
- It may damage the blade if it is not used correctly
Most Affordable: Zulay Premium Quality Knife Sharpener
- Revive, Restore And Fine Tune Your Knives: We all need our knives to perform their best. This handheld 2 stage knife sharpener is the easiest and fastest way to restore that sharp, shiny edge your knives need for top performance. All you have to do is pull your knife through the sharpener to get the edge back!
- Put A Fresh Edge On The Dullest Knife: Say goodbye to the dull edges in your life. It takes just a few swipes to experience beautifully sharpened knives. The coarse slot revives dull or damaged blades, while the ceramic slot hones and polishes the blade to fine perfection. The non-slip padded bottom keeps the sharpener steady on any surface. Smart design nestles comfortably in any drawer or counter top.
You can effortlessly restore the edges of your knives using this two-stage sharpener. We chose this product because it comes at a favorable price and offers exceptional performance.
In addition to this, it is expertly crafted with your sharpening needs in mind. Moreover, you can use this sharpener on different types of knives without degrading the quality of the blades.
And like most 2-stage sharpeners in its class, the sharpening slots feature ceramic and tungsten carbide abrasives that will help you get the work done within a limited duration.
The coarse sharpening slot will help you revive damaged blades with just a few strikes.
More to this, the sharpener has a modern design and can go well with most kitchen décor styles. The grip handle is made of premium quality stainless steel to maximize durability.
This tool is very efficient and will greatly reduce your downtime when honing kitchen knives in between the cooking session.
The frame is sturdily constructed to give you optimum stability when sharpening knives. That is not all; the slots are wide enough and can accommodate knives with thick or thin blades.
In fact, you can even hone cleavers, scissors, and serrated blades without damaging the sharpener.
The materials from which this equipment is made are of good quality, so you can rest easy knowing that it will last.
To top it all up, the base is fitted with a non-slip pad, so the sharpener won’t move about when stroking the blade.
- Comfortable handle
- Suitable for double-beveled knives
- Easy to clean
- It only has two sharpening slots
Most Versatile: Kitchenmuh Knife Sharpener
- 【Compact and Reliable】 The sharpener is small enough to fit into a drawer and not be in the way. The portable knife sharpener tool is made of solid ABS plastic, which are durable, have a long service life, and can fully withstand the pressure generated during sharpening.
- 【3-Step Knife Sharpening System】 With our incredible 3-slot system, we’re revolutionizing the art of knife sharpening! The 1st diamond sharpening rod repairs and straightens damaged blades before the 2nd slot sharpens to restore its V-shape. Finally, the 3rd slot fine tunes for a clean polish.
This knife sharpener is reliable, efficient, and easy to work with. It features a four-stage sharpening system and will enable you to restore dull edges with minimal exertion.
Besides, it even has a slot that is specially designed for sharpening scissors, making it even more efficient. The slots are equipped with tungsten carbide blades, diamond rods, and ceramic rods.
All the abrasives are highly resistant to wear, so they will stay functional for an extended period.
The body is constructed from high-quality ABS material to prevent breakage. In terms of ergonomics, the sharpener has a large non-slip handle that will provide you with a comfortable user experience.
Additionally, the handle has a guard that will prevent your fingers from overlapping towards the slot, thereby safeguarding you against cuts.
To increase stability, the base is designed with slip-resistant TPR material, so you will have full control over the sharpener at all times.
Also, the sharpener has an ambidextrous design, meaning it can assist both lefties and righties.
On the downside, this sharpener is not suitable for sharpening serrated blades. All in all, this is a well-designed knife sharpener that you can rely on restoring dull or damaged blades.
- Reasonably priced
- Comes with a detailed user guide
- Can only hone straight edge blades
Best Value: Amesser Kitchen Knife Sharpener
- Knife Sharpener Get a Razor Sharp Edge in Seconds: 🔪 Kitchen Knife Sharpener Give it a few proper pulls at each slot in one direction, and your knife will come out reset to factory sharpness. The simple, foolproof sharpener will satisfy most people, and they all do the job quickly. That means you’ll always have sharp, safe, effective, and enjoyable knives at hand.
- A Complete 3-Stage Sharpening Device: 🔪 Kitchen Knife Sharpener With diamond, tungsten steel, and ceramic rods for fixing, coarse sharpening, and honing, the Amesser Kitchen Sharpener will take care of your blades in every way. This compact but mighty device eliminates the need to have several stones and honing rods in your kitchen, saving space in your countertop.
Amesser presents you with a reliable sharpener that will allow you to sharpen your knives safely without cutting yourself. It has up to three slots that you can choose from when sharpening blades.
The good thing about this sharpener is that it can restore burred cutting edges without chipping the blade.
There is also a fine ceramic slot that you can use for quick touch-ups once you are done sharpening the blade. Aside from that, the fine slot can be used for regular blade maintenance.
The diamond blades, on the other hand, can come in handy when realigning bent cutting edges while the tungsten steel rods will allow you to revive extremely dull blades.
This equipment is suitable for a wide range of knives, and the best part is that it is easy to store and can easily fit into most kitchen drawers.
To add to this, it is designed with every user’s safety in mind, so you won’t have to worry about getting cut when sharpening your knives.
Talking of safety, it comes with a cut-resistant glove that will protect you from accidental cuts.
The grinder head is removable, so you can detach it when cleaning the sharpener. Since the base has a non-slip design, the sharpener will stay in the exact position that you want it to.
As such, it won’t shift positions throughout the honing process, thus reducing the chances of you getting injured when restoring blades.
- Ergonomically designed
- The blades are not reversible
Best Foldable: Vestaware Knife Sharpener
- This is an efficient knife sharpener. This kitchen sharpener can make your knife sharper without tedious steps. Innovative two-slot design, It only takes two steps to make your knife sharper.(Do not use for serrated cutting tools!)
- This is a extremely compact knife sharpener. Because of its fold-ability, it is much smaller than expected. This unique design saves more space, and I believe it makes you feel your kitchen is bigger than you think.
If you are in search of a reliable knife sharpener that is equally compact, then this may be the right equipment for you.
It features a foldable handle that you can tuck away when the sharpener is not in use. This will help you save more space during storage, thus making it a suitable option for all users.
Plus, it has a dual sharpening system and enables users to restore dull blades in two easy steps.
Besides, it comes with easy-to-read instructions that you can use during the first usage. The base is rubberized and is also textured to give you a non-slip user experience.
To add to its efficiency, the sharpener comes with a whetstone, so you can use the option that matches the blade that you want to sharpen.
When working with this sharpener, ensure that you pull the knife in one direction to avoid damaging the blade.
The slots are set in such a way that the blade will be sharpened uniformly on either side. As a result, the cutting edge will be restored to its factory form.
When it comes to versatility, this sharpener can hone all straight blade knives, so it can be an excellent choice for sharpening kitchen knives, paring knives, santoku knives, just to mention but a few.
It comes in two different colors that you can choose from. This particular model is gray but you can as well go for the black sharpener.
- Heavy-duty design
- Anti-skid base
- Effective in sharpening
- Not as lightweight compared to most sharpeners with the same design
Best Entry-Level: Adoric Life 4-in-1 Knife Sharpener
No products found.
Featuring a four-stage sharpening system, this sharpener is also another reliable option that you can use when honing your knives.
It is specifically designed for honing kitchen knives, so you can have full assurance that it will deliver good results.
The sharpening slots have the right type of grit, allowing for smooth and effortless grinding of blades during the honing process.
It has four slots, three of which are designed for sharpening knives while the other is specialized for honing scissors.
The ABS plastic material used in the construction is both tough and durable, so you can rest assured that the sharpener will last.
In addition to this, the handle is ergonomically contoured to ensure that you get a comfortable grip.
Best of all, the grip area is covered in rubber to prevent slippage. This means you can securely hold the sharpener with wet hands without it slipping from your grasp.
More to this, it can work with different sizes of blades, so you won’t be limited, especially if you own multiple sets of knives.
The slots can help you deburr, revive, and straighten damaged blades with minimal strikes. However, the sharpener does not come with a safety glove compared to most sharpeners in its class.
- Has a practical design
- Sturdily built
- The grinding head is not removable
Best for Beginners: TODOCOPE Premium Chef Knife Sharpener
- [3-Slot Design]:TODOCOPE manual knife sharpener featuring an innovative three-slot design, you can choose from the SHARPEN ,REPAIR or POLISH slot to restore dull blades and help return them back to their factory quality.
- TODOCOPE kitchen knife sharpener with a ergonomic handle, both right or left-handed,soft grip while you sharpen.High quality silicone non-slip cushion at knife sharpener's bottom offers comfortable control.best chefs choice knife sharpener. The sharpening head is removable for easy cleaning.
The professional-grade knife sharpener from Todocope is super effective when it comes to sharpening straight edge knives.
It will help you edge your knives to the preferred level of sharpness without straining yourself. The sharpening slots are precision designed to preserve the quality of your knives.
Moreover, the grinder head is fitted with three slots, thus giving you the option of using the sharpening rod that best suits your needs.
The tungsten carbide abrasives can assist you when prepping damaged blades, while the diamond rods will help you sharpen dull edges.
There is also a fine ceramic rod that you can use when polishing the cutting edges of your knives. Want to hear more? The grinder head is detachable, so you can safely remove it when cleaning the equipment.
Also, the sharpener is fitted with a long handle that is contoured to give users a solid grip. It has a user-friendly design and will allow you to restore damaged cutting edges while applying the least amount of effort.
And like most sharpeners on our review list, it is ideal for right-handed and left-handed users.
The base features a traction-enhancing material that minimizes slippage, so the sharpener won’t slide against the surface of the counter when you are working.
- Reliable multi-slot sharpening system
- Ergonomic handle
- Well balanced
- Not ideal for serrated blades
Frequently Asked Questions
Are knife sharpeners bad for knives?
Like any other tool, knife sharpeners have their cons and pros depending on how you use them. If used the right way, they won’t damage your knives and vice and versa.
As such, you should always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer before using the sharpener.
In addition to this, you should consider the type of material that the knife is made of since some blades require specialized sharpeners.
What is the best inexpensive knife sharpener?
If you are on a tight budget, you should consider buying manual knife sharpeners since they are cheaper compared to most options in the market.
Our review list provides you with some of the best knife sharpeners that cost less than $30, so they can get you started.
Can you sharpen a serrated knife?
Serrated knives are sharpenable, but you need the right type of sharpener to avoid damaging the serrations.
Are cheap knife sharpeners worth it?
As stated earlier, it all depends on how you use the sharpener. Most sharpeners can cause damage to blades if they are not used as recommended.
How often should you sharpen your knife?
According to experts, you should sharpen your knife whenever you feel like they are not sharp enough. This may vary depending on the types of materials that you cut and the frequency of use.
You can safely sharpen your knives using the budget-friendly sharpeners that we have listed above.
With these tools, you won’t have any problem when restoring the edges of dull knives, and neither will you hurt yourself during the sharpening process.