Cutting through tough butternut squash can be a daunting task, but that won’t be the case if you use a sturdily built knife with a razor-sharp edge.
Well, our review list highlights some of the viable knives that you can use when prepping squash.
The cutting tools that we have hand-picked for you are designed for performance and will enable you to peel, slice, and dice the squash according to your preference.
Additionally, the blades hold their edges well and are also resistant to corrosion. Plus, most of the knives feature a full-tang construction and will provide you with more leverage in all cutting applications.
11 Best Knife to Cut Butternut Squash
Our Top Pick: Mercer Culinary M23510 Renaissance Chef’s Knife
No products found.
The high-performance chef knife by Mercer Culinary is not only versatile but also efficient.
It comes with an 8″ high carbon stainless steel blade that will allow you to cut through a butternut squash with the utmost ease.
The blade is factory-honed to a razor-sharp edge that will help you get the work done within the shortest time possible.
Moreover, the M23510 features a full tang construction, so you can apply as much pressure as you want to the handle without damaging the knife.
Besides, it will provide you with maximum leverage in all scenarios, allowing for smooth and effortless cutting.
And since the handle is triple-riveted, the scales won’t come loose during usage. The blade and the tang have a one-piece design in that they are forged from a single block of steel to maximize stability.
With that being said, the M23510 can take on nearly every task in the kitchen that may require you to use a knife of this type. It is tough, efficient, and reliable.
It offers great corrosion resistance, superior edge retention, and excellent wear resistance. Plus, the blade is thick and rigid, so it won’t bend when slicing through tough butternut squash.
The tapered edge is specially designed for chopping and dicing, so you won’t have any problem breaking down the pulp after you are done peeling the squash.
Lastly, the Delrin handle is bolstered for stability purposes while the rear end is uniquely curved to ensure your fingers stay in place throughout the cutting process.
- Ergonomically designed
- Heavy-duty construction
- Designed to last
- The blade is not dishwasher safe
Sturdiest Knife for Cutting Butternut Squash: Global G-2 Chef’s Knife
- Lightweight, precisely balanced 8-inch or 20cm chef's knife
- Blade made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel
Global is one of the top brands in the knife-making industry, so you can purchase this knife knowing that it will serve you well.
For starters, it is expertly forged with your cutting needs in mind, meaning it can assist you in multiple ways when in the kitchen.
The knife is meticulously balanced to ensure that the user has full control over the blade at all times. This will, in turn, allow you to make the cuts according to your preference. To add to this, the edge is precision-sharpened such that the blade can make clean cuts.
We highly recommend the Global G-2 to users because it is exceptionally sturdy, super-efficient, and is also ergonomically designed.
With these features in place, you will no longer have a hard time slicing through butternut squash. And like the M23510, this knife has an 8″ blade that is designed for performance.
Furthermore, it is forged from high-tech Cromova 18 stainless steel to increase durability and the knife’s overall performance. And the fact that it has high chromium content makes it even more durable because the blade won’t be affected by corrosion.
As such, the knife won’t stain, and neither will it rust. In addition to this, the blade holds its edge well and can be used multiple times without being sharpened.
More on the blade, it has a thick spine that will provide you with the stability that you need when cutting through the skin of butternut squash.
To top it all up, the handle is just as durable as the blade since both parts are constructed using the same material.
- Double bevel design
- The handle is dimpled to prevent slippage
- Doesn’t come with a storage box
Best for Beginners: Victorinox 47520 Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
- An all-purpose chef’s knife provides ultimate control to mince your way through any culinary challenge.
- Contemporary, textured handle with a non-slip grip -- even when wet. The handle is ergonomically designed to help minimize tension at the wrist and provides a much more comfortable grip.
The Victorinox 47520 is ideal for beginners because it has a practical design and is equally easy to handle.
And since so many things can go wrong when you are cutting butternut squash, this is one of the knives that will help you safeguard your fingers against cuts that may occur due to accidental slippage.
The handle is ergonomically contoured for your comfort and is also textured to increase traction between your fingers and the grip area.
As a result, the knife will stay in your grasp all through, thereby lowering the chances of it slipping.
When it comes to the blade, it measures 8″ long and is made of high-quality stainless steel that offers superior edge retention.
It is also highly resistant to corrosion, so you won’t have to worry about the blade staining or rusting.
Nonetheless, this will only apply if the knife is given proper care, so ensure that you follow the maintenance instructions provided by the manufacturer. The extra-wide blade allows for effortless cutting and easy maneuverability.
This knife comes with an ultra-sharp edge, so you can put it to use immediately after unboxing the package.
The blade is firmly mated to the handle to increase stability. That way, the knife won’t fall apart when tackling heavy-duty tasks.
Plus, the reinforced spine will provide you with maximum cutting power when slicing through hard-skinned squash.
To sum it all up, the handle reduces wrist fatigue, so users will be able to work with this knife for long hours without straining their hands.
- Comfortable handle
- No storage box
Best Full Tang: WÜSTHOF Classic Chef’s Knife
- KITCHEN WORKHORSE – The WÜSTHOF 8” Classic Chef’s Knife is essential for preparing any meal. This all-purpose cook’s knife can be used for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – The full Tang, Triple Riveted handles of the classic line offer the widest range of cutlery that can satisfy every home cook or professional chef. The WÜSTHOF classic series has been our best-selling series for generations
The precision-forged chef knife from Wüsthof has amazing features that will completely change how you cut butternut squash.
Like most of the knives on our review list, this knife is professionally designed to ensure that you get a fully functional tool that you can depend on when in the kitchen.
Thanks to its versatile design, this knife can prove helpful when slicing through both soft and tough foods, thus making it an excellent choice for professional chefs and home cooks alike.
The materials from which it is crafted are of superior quality, so you can rest assured the knife won’t fail you.
Additionally, the high carbon stainless steel blade is ideal for slicing, dicing, chopping, and mincing. It will enable you to slice the pulp to the preferred sizes without wasting the squash.
That is not all; that blade can as well be used when peeling the tough skin, so you won’t have to use an extra knife when prepping the squash.
The blade is not only thick but also tough, so don’t expect it to break or bend when you are working. In fact, it is hardened to 58⁰ HRC to prevent such from happening.
Moreover, it has a full-size tang, making it even more efficient. It doesn’t end there, the handle scales are triple-riveted to ensure that the knife stays in one piece during and after usage.
- The handle has a finger guard for user safety
- Full bolster
- May require sharpening over time
Best Non-Stick: Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Hollow Edge Chef Knife
- 2.5mm blade. The added dimples help the knife to glide through sticky foods such as potatoes, apples, and summer squash
- Lightweight. Knife Length- 12.63 inches
The MTH-80 from Mac Knife is also an excellent option that you can use for cutting butternut squash.
We chose this knife because it has a uniquely designed blade that will enable you to slice through different types of food effortlessly.
Besides, both sides of the blade have dimples that allow users to cut with no drag. To add to this, the blade has non-stick properties, so it will glide smoothly when cutting through the pulp.
The cutting edge is hardened to maximize performance and can particularly come in handy when slicing through the tough skin.
As such, you can even use this knife for peeling applications when prepping your squash. In terms of measurement, the entire knife is 12.63″ long while the blade is 8″.
The blade features a razor-sharp edge and also has the right thickness for most kitchen tasks.
Also, the tang covers the whole length of the pakkawood handle and will give you maximum control when cutting butternut squash.
The grip area is contoured for user comfort, meaning you won’t strain your wrists when using this knife.
- Quality construction
- Easy to hone
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Double-Bevel: Shun VB0706 Sora Chef’s Knife
- JAPANESE CHEF'S KNIFE: The Shun 8-inch Sora Chef's Knife is perfect for preparing meat, vegetables, fruit and more! It's THE must-have kitchen knife.
- GYUTO-STYLE KNIFE: This Japanese kitchen knife is also called a gyuto. It is slightly less curved than a western chef's knife with a gentle roll off the tip, cutting more food with less lifting of the blade.
Shun presents you with a handcrafted chef knife that will greatly boost your performance when cutting hard-shelled fruits like butternut squash. It features an 8″ blade that will provide you with exceptional results in all cutting applications.
What’s more, the blade is made up of multiple layers of steel, so the knife won’t break even when cutting tough foods.
The core is forged from high-quality VG10 steel while the exterior layer is made of Japanese 420J stainless steel. The layers are blaze welded to ensure that the blade stays intact.
In addition to this, the edge is precision ground on both sides, meaning the knife can be used by both right-handed and left-handed users.
Each side is beveled at 32⁰ to increase the cutting power. Aside from that, this feature will make your work easier when honing the blade.
More to this, it is laser cut for uniformity, so you can as well use the VB0706 when making delicate cuts. The knife has great edge retention and decent corrosion resistance.
To add to its list of features, the handle is designed with the user’s comfort in mind, allowing for extensive usage.
The fact that it is TPE-textured makes it even more comfortable since your fingers won’t get blisters even after holding the knife for long hours.
Not just that, the knife is rigorously designed and will enable you to slice the squash cleanly when dicing the pulp.
- Excellent quality
- Built to last
- It can only be cleaned through hand wash
Honorable Mention: Messermeister Meridian Elite Stealth Chef’s Knife
- The Chef’s knife is the workhorse in every kitchen and is used for 90% of all your cutting tasks. The Messermeister Meridian Elité 8” Stealth Chef’s Knife has an industrial strength polyoxymethylene or “POM” handle. The hand forged Stealth blade is about 25% thinner and 10% lighter than our traditional chef’s knife. It has been ground to a thin profile to create a razor sharp edge. You can chop, slice, dice and mince your way through extended cutting tasks without fatigue.
- The Messermeister Meridian Elité knife collection defines tradition with a triple rivet, full-exposed tang handle. These knives are of the finest German stainless steel alloy and fitted with the most durable industrial strength, ergonomic handle in the world. Meridian Elité knives are handcrafted and polished one at a time using the same techniques that have been the hallmark of fine Solingen-made cutlery that have stood the test of time.
This is one of the toughest knives on the list, and that is exactly why it is considered a workhorse.
Like most high-end knives, it is crafted from materials that are of premium quality, so it is not only efficient but also durable.
The 8″ German stainless steel blade is highly resistant to rust, so it won’t discolor provided that you keep it clean and dry after you are done using the knife.
Still, on the blade, it holds its edge longer, providing you with a frustration-free user experience.
This knife has a full tang design and also features a well-designed polyoxymethylene handle that will provide you with a secure grip. It is triple-riveted and contoured for user convenience.
And like all knives from the Meridian Elité series, the blade and the tang are handcrafted from a single piece of billet for durability purposes.
The blade has a rating of 57⁰ to 58⁰ on the HRC scale, and since it is rigid, it won’t bend while you are making cuts.
Furthermore, the edge is finely ground to form a sharp cutting surface that will allow you to slice through a tough butternut squash with minimal exertion.
The blade can move through sticky foods with no resistance, making this a suitable option for all users.
- Delivers good performance
- Sturdily built
- Dulls with repeated usage
Best Mid-Range: MOSFiATA CK0304 Chef Knife
- 【10” Kitchen Gyuto Knife】- This MOSFiATA 10 Inch Kitchen Knife is made of high-quality German stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- 【Sharp Edge & 14~16° Sharpening Angle】- Sharpness is key. Hand-polished by craftsmen with decades of experience to ensure its durability. The thickness of this cooing knife is 2.75mm. Its hand-polished edge is 14-16 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly. Rockwell hardness: 56 ± 2 HRC.
This knife has the longest blade on the list, so it can be an ideal option for cutting large butternut squash.
It has a 10″ high carbon stainless steel blade that will provide you with commendable results when peeling or slicing the squash.
In terms of durability, the blade has superior corrosion resistance and is exceptionally resistant to wear.
The CK0304 can be used by chefs at a professional level but can also assist home cooks. Best of all, the blade is weighted to increase leverage.
Also, the micarta handle is up to 5″ long, so your hand will have a firm grip on the tool, allowing for non-slip performance.
Not to forget that it is triple-riveted for top-class stability. The center rivet is uniquely crafted to improve the knife’s aesthetic appearance.
Since the manufacturer cares about your safety, the knife comes with a stainless steel finger guard that you can use when slicing food.
The blade retains its edge well, thus making it suitable for everyday use. More to this, the edge is hand-polished to increase performance when cutting through soft and hard foods.
- Conveniently designed
- Full tang construction
- The handle may be too large for some users
Best Budget Buy: PAUDIN Pro Kitchen Knife
- 【Professional Chef's Knife】: This kitchen knife is suitable for cutting bread, vegetables, fillets or meats. This sharp knife is also suitable for home and professional use. Cutting like a master chef will bring you more joy in the kitchen!
- 【Multi-Functional Chef Knife】: This 8 inch chef knife can easily handle your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, mincing and dicing fruits, vegetables and several meat varieties including fish, chicken and beef. It truly is the all-around cooking knife!
Paudin’s kitchen knife is one of the affordable options that you can consider adding to your cutlery collection.
The 5Cr15MoV stainless steel blade is not only resistant to wear but also offers good edge retention.
Plus, it has a high chromium content, which aids in the prevention of rust and other forms of corrosion.
The blade is tempered to prevent the cutting edge from dulling prematurely. This knife has a multi-functional design and can help you tackle different types of tasks in the kitchen. It can dice, slice, mince, and chop without damaging the food.
Besides, the blade is nitrogen-quenched, so it won’t react with the food in any way. As a result, the food will retain its natural flavors.
It has an attractive silverfish finish and an ergonomically designed wooden handle that offers a firm grip.
This knife offers a great balance between weight and performance, so it can be maneuvered effortlessly when making precision cuts.
The handle is reinforced with bolsters to boost stability. Because the grip area is slightly curved, it will fit perfectly in the palm of your hand. It has a good knuckle clearance, so you’ll be able to move the knife without hurting your fingers.
- Well crafted
- Great quality
- It is not dishwasher safe
Most Versatile: Zwilling J.A. Henckels 30721-203 Twin Signature Chef Knife
- ULTRA RAZOR-SHARP: ZWILLING knives start out razor-sharp and stay sharper longer, even with minimal care. 57 Rockwell Hardness = excellent edge retention. Edge angle 15 degrees per side.
- THE LAST KNIFE YOU’LL EVER NEED TO BUY: Zwilling knives are built to last. They are German engineered informed by almost 300 Years of masterful knife making.
This knife can be used for virtually all kitchen tasks, making it yet another versatile option that is worth adding to your list.
The blade is professionally crafted from a single-piece billet to prevent breakage. In addition to this, it is factory-honed to a sharp edge that will simplify your work when slicing through butternut squash.
Its use can apply when peeling the hard shell, and can as well prove helpful when dicing the pulp to smaller pieces.
The cutting edge is laser-controlled, allowing for precision cutting, especially when dealing with delicate foods.
Thanks to its full tang construction, the knife will provide you more leverage with each move that the blade makes.
Since the blade is stamped, it is a few ounces lighter compared to forged models. Like the knife that we have just reviewed, the Henckels 30721-203 allows for easy maneuverability, so you won’t struggle when making cuts.
The polymer handle features a three-rivet fastening system and is securely attached to the full-size tang.
Plus, the cutting edge is beveled at an angle of 15⁰ per side and is tempered to 57⁰ HRC. As such, the blade won’t dull easily, thus providing you with long-lasting service.
- Precision-stamped for performance
- Not heavy
- Good corrosion resistance
- Does not come with a storage box
Best High-End: Misono UX10 Gyutou Chef Knife
- Stain resistant chef knife^asymmetrical edge grants the knife sharper than even edges^UX10 is Misono's top of the line knife made with Swedish steel^size 8.2" inches
The double-bevel knife by Misono comes with an 8.2″ blade and well-made handle that will enable you to cut while applying the least amount of effort.
It has a long list of features that you will find useful when tackling different kitchen tasks. First off, the asymmetrical cutting edge stays sharp longer, so it won’t require sharpening from time to time.
To add to this, it won’t chip even when cutting through tough-shelled fruits like butternut squash.
The blade is slightly longer compared to most knives in its class. With this knife, you can effortlessly slice through both large and small squash.
If you use it correctly, you will be able to make clean cuts in a single pass. The end of the handle is curved to prevent slippage, especially when handling the knife with wet hands.
Also, the Swedish stainless steel used in making the blade has high corrosion resistance, excellent edge retention, and is equally resistant to wear.
The handle, on the other hand, is crafted from high-quality composite wood and is also contoured for comfort.
- The blade is rated at 59-60 HRC
- Loses its edge with continuous use
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I cut a butternut squash?
The first step to cutting butternut squash is choosing the right knife for the task at hand. You will also need a well-balanced cutting board.
Once you have all the tools, you can start by slicing off the top and bottom parts. After this, you can slice the squash into two halves where the ‘bulg’ starts. You have to keep in mind that this is just but a summary of the whole process.
What is the easiest way to cut a butternut squash?
To make your work easier, ensure that you use a knife that is both sturdy and sharp. That way, you will be able to cut through the hard shell without straining your hands.
The knives that we have highlighted in the detailed reviewed list above have all the features that you may look for in a squash-cutting knife.
What is the best knife for cutting squash?
Most people prefer using chef’s knives when cutting squash because they tough and also efficient.
Can you use an electric knife to cut squash?
Electric knives are very powerful and can help you saw through most kitchen tasks, so they can assist you when cutting squash. However, ensure that you for a tool that is well designed.
Is Butternut Squash hard to cut?
Butternut squash has a tough dense skin that can be difficult to cut. Nonetheless, you can easily slice through the fruit using a sturdy blade that is razor-sharp.
You can effortlessly cut through a butternut squash using the sturdily built knives that we’ve analyzed in the review list above.
The knives are efficient, razor-sharp, easy to handle, and durable. As such, they will allow you to cut the squash according to your needs without cutting yourself.