Although most people associate it with professional chefs and butchers, a knife for cutting meat remains an indispensable tool for every kitchen.
To most people, a knife is just a knife. However, most professional chefs can confirm that not all knives do the trick when it’s time to cut meat. A decent meat-slicing piece of cutlery will make it effortless to cut through beef, turkey, chicken, or any other type of meat.
Now, when searching for a perfect blade for meat, there’s a wide array of aspects to carry in mind. Unfortunately, not all buyers have the time and energy to consider all these factors one model after another. To their rescue, we’ve put together some of the market’s top-leading knives for cutting meat. Read through to discover your next kitchen addition.
Top 11 Best Knives For Cutting Meat
#1 Victorinox Swiss Army – 47645 Slicing Knife
- ESSENTIAL CARVING KNIFE. A versatile kitchen essential for slicing and carving meats. Crafted with a round tip and Granton Blade, this knife creates air pockets to minimize friction and improve meat separation.
- SLICE WITH PRECISION. With a long, narrow shape and razor sharp edge, this knife can slice through meats in a single, smooth motion. The high-carbon stainless steel blade makes smaller and thinner slices easier and more uniform.
If you are looking for a reliable knife that will help you in meat preparation, this high-quality knife should meet your needs. The kitchen tool comes with everything you need to cut chunks of meat with ease, and that’s why it tops the list as the editor’s choice.
The excellent meat cutter is 12 inches long. Hence, it works best for experienced chefs who are more confident with handling knives. The longer blade turns helpful when you need to make dense cuts of meat, and that means it also works ideally for beginner chefs who love practicing with larger meals.
The high-quality European steel used for the blade means you can rely on it for durability. What’s even more impressive, this kitchen tool has a round edge and a Granton edge. This type of blade will prevent the meat from sticking onto it, so your meat preparation process will run smoothly.
The Granton edge slicing knife comes with a razor-sharp edge. That said, you won’t need to sharpen it before use to get a precise edge. After our interaction with the knife, we found the narrow, long, and super-sharp edge to provide uniform results when using it for small and thin slices of meat.
Cutting meat can get slippery. Thus, as you shop for a knife, it’s recommendable you pay heed to the handle design and feel. Our number one recommendation comes with a Fibrox Pro handle, which feels slip-resistant, even when working with wet hands.
- The narrow blade is very durable.
- The handle feels very slip-resistant.
- Non-stick Granton edge.
- Quite big for beginners.
#2 Victorinox Swiss Army 47537 Curved Breaking Knife
- PERFECT FOR BUTCHER WORK. An excellent choice for butcher work, this breaking knife was made to easily break down meat into smaller roasts and pieces. The added weight from the wider blade makes uniform slicing easier, while also preventing meat from falling apart or tearing.
- MADE FOR DURABILITY. Designed to handle both small and large kitchen tasks with durability. Crafted with high carbon stainless steel, this knife is conical ground and ice tempered to ensure long-lasting sharpness.
Although the next knife on the list is from the same manufacturer as the first, there are a few noticeable differences between the two. Nevertheless, they all work exceptionally for meat-cutting, and that’s why we have this model take the place of the best knife overall for meat cutting.
The first noticeable difference is the narrow blade tapering upwards. The knife also has a pointed tip. What this design means is that the knife works better for cutting around the bones without damaging the surrounding meat.
About the size, this curved edge knife is an 8-inch option. Therefore, it’s shorter than the predecessor, more maneuverable, and perfect for chefs of all skill levels. Also, we appreciate that it has exceptional balance, so it should remain comfortable when using it for extended periods.
The knife comes with a high-carbon stainless steel blade. And since it’s conical ground and ice tempered, this knife will be among the tools that will serve you the longest in the kitchen.
The piece maintains its razor-sharp edge for extended periods, but the manufacturer recommends that you hone it after several uses. For cleaning, soapy water is the most appropriate— only ensure that you dry it immediately.
- Excellent balance.
- The blade design is perfect for boning.
- Easy maintenance.
- Maybe too lightweight for some tasks.
#3 DALSTRONG Butcher’s Breaking Cimitar Knife
- Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance has never looked so good at this price. The razor-sharp Dalstrong Gladiator Series Butcher's Breaking Knife is a powerhouse tool in breaking, sectioning and portioning your meat.
- Incredibly razor sharp, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at 16-18 degrees per side. Precisely tempered and stain resistant.
If you want a functional meat knife with a curved blade but find the previous option smaller than you need, here comes one of the models you can consider buying. The knife takes third place as the runner-up to the best knife overall.
It’s one of the top butcher knives, although it also works well for home chefs. The excellent craftsmanship and the professional design ensure that this kitchen tool slices through flesh like a hot knife through butter. And with the longer blade, expect to make a long cut in just a single stroke.
The rock-hollow divots enhance the aesthetic value of the knife and reduce friction, ensuring that food doesn’t stick onto the blade. What that means, whether you are cutting beef, fish, pork, or any other type of meat, you’ll never have to stop to remove any stuck-on meat products.
Also, it’s worth acknowledging that you are getting a knife with full tang construction. In other words, the German HC steel blade runs all through the comfortable grip. This design gives the piece a sturdy and more balanced feel, making it comfortable to handle for long periods.
Speaking of the handle, you are getting a tool with an enhanced in-hand feel. The black G10 handle is as appealing in the feel as it is visually. Even more, it’s ambidextrous, so it’s a go-to choice for all kinds of chefs, whether right-handed or lefties.
- BPA-free knife guard.
- Aesthetically appealing knife.
- Works well for any meat type.
- The grip may get a little slippy with wet hands.
#4 Mercer Culinary Genesis 10-Inch Carving Knife
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Knife is precision-forged with high-carbon German steel for better durability, and taper-ground edge allows for increased efficiency when cutting along with incredible long-lasting sharpness
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: The finest handle in forged cutlery; built to last ergonomic handle offers comfort and a non-slip grip, even with wet hands
If you more often deal with large roasts and meats, a meat carving knife will be an essential piece of cutlery to add to your kitchen arsenal. Meat carving knives help in cutting uniform slices of cooked meat, whether turkey, venison, beef, chicken, or large fish. Now, if that’s the knife you want for your needs, the number four option takes the place of the top chef’s choice carving knife.
This cutter from Mercer Culinary is 10 inches long. Hence, it’s long enough so that you won’t have to do much sawing. The long razor-sharp blade cuts effortlessly through flesh in a single sweeping stroke, giving you even and clean slices.
The blade is of high-carbon no-stain German blade. This construction feels solid in the hands and will stand the test of time with regular use. What’s more, this type of steel offers excellent resistance to corrosion, discoloration, and rust, so the piece of cutlery will retain its day one appearance and functionality.
The taper ground edge withstands more cutting action and will cut cleanly through a variety of foods. The design also improves the stability of the knife and makes it easier to hone— you will always have the efficiency you need when slicing meat.
- Taper-ground edge.
- No-stain solid steel.
- The thickness of the blade is nice.
- The handle feels a little hefty.
#5 Victorinox Swiss Army Boning Knife -47602
- VERSATILE DE-BONING TOOL. Trim or remove meat from the bone with ease. This knife's pointed tip easily pierces meat while the curved-edge allows for smooth, clean cuts close to and around the bone.
- IDEAL FOR DELICATE CUTS. Delicate poultry and fish can be difficult to debone with accuracy. The curved yet flexible blade allows for a better working angle when cutting fish or thin cuts of meat that are more intricate to bone and easily pierced.
A knife that you use for cutting large pieces of meat may not be the most appropriate for poultry. A poultry knife needs to be smaller. And yes, if you are looking for a high-quality choice for this purpose, the Victorinox – 47602 makes for the most appropriate piece of cutlery for your needs. In our lineup, it comes as the best knife for poultry.
This kitchen tool is a 6-inch piece. That should tell us that it’s ideal for cutting smaller pieces of raw meat. The tool features a pointed tip for piercing raw chicken. You will also appreciate that it has a curved edge, a design that allows it to get around the bone well.
The handle has an ergonomic design that offers a non-slip grip even when using it with wet hands. What that means, with this knife, you will find cutting and separating meat from bones to be more straightforward than ever before.
In terms of weight, this knife has enough amount of heft that it feels sturdy in the hand and at the same time lightweight enough that it’s very unlikely to develop wrist fatigue when using it for extended periods.
The knife arrives freaky sharp. Therefore, you won’t need to sharpen this piece of cutlery before your first-time use. In fact, since the stainless steel retains its edge for a long time, you may not need to sharpen it any time soon.
- Works ideally for boning.
- The quality-price ratio is hard to beat.
- Textured handle.
- A more flexible blade would be more helpful for boning.
#6 Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
- An all-purpose chef’s knife provides ultimate control to mince your way through any culinary challenge.
- Contemporary, textured handle with a non-slip grip -- even when wet. The handle is ergonomically designed to help minimize tension at the wrist and provides a much more comfortable grip.
If you have been following closely, you may have noticed that Victorinox knives have been dominating our reviews list. And yes, the sixth product is from the same manufacturer and is our best seller knife for cutting meat.
Like any of the siblings featuring earlier on the list, there’s much to love about this model. Firstly, it features a top-grade European steel blade. Hence, it looks and feels sturdy. That said, it packs the strength needed, whether you want it for cutting red or white meat.
Again, we like that it’s an all-around knife. Sure, we are talking about perfect knives for cutting meat. But let’s get real— any buyer will appreciate a knife whose scope of work goes beyond meat-cutting. The piece can also work well for other kitchen knife-related tasks like chopping, dicing, mincing, and more.
With that said, if you are a home chef who wants a knife you can count on across a wide variety of recipes, you will appreciate the multifunctionality you are going to enjoy here. The piece even comes in 8-inch size, the most appropriate for most kitchen cutting needs.
The NSF-approved knife is dishwasher safe. Of course, that’s a feature you are going to appreciate, especially for a knife that’s designed to come in handy in everyday kitchen activities. And for those on a tight budget, this knife is an inexpensive choice.
- Sanitary design.
- Easy to wash.
- Stamped steel.
#7 DALSTRONG – Extra-Long Serrated Slicing & Carving Knife
- Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance has never looked so good at this price.
- Incredibly razor sharp slicer, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at 16-18 degrees per side. Flexible blade technology ensures de-boning, preparing, filleting, skinning, trimming and butterflying all your favorite meats is not only easier but more efficient and satisfying
Most meat-cutting applications work ideally with a straight edge. However, at times you need a serrated blade by your side. In fact, your kitchen collection is never complete without a knife of this kind, and this model sits seventh on the list as the best-serrated knife for meat-slicing.
The serrated knife is specially designed for sandwich shop owners, pitmasters, bakers, and deli-workers. However, there’s more you can do with the knife, and that’s why we also see it as a suitable option for home chefs. The knife works exceptionally for slicing BBQs, roasts, and more.
The blade is 14 inches in size, so far the longest we have on the list. The HC German steel construction means the piece has a sturdy design, so you can count on it to survive many years of regular heavy abuse in the kitchen.
The precision-forged design of the serrations means you don’t need to apply much pressure to it when cutting. Also, we appreciate that evenly-spaced air pockets run all through the entire blade length for non-stick performance.
About handling comfort, the Black G10 Garolite handle features an award-winning design. It is a triple-riveted grip with a nice feel. Hence, although it’s a large piece with a good amount of heft, this knife still gives you the comfort and maneuverability you need in your cutting tasks.
- The sheath covers the knife fully.
- Non-stick edge.
- Fine serrations.
- Easy to put a new edge to it.
#8 Jerky Professional 10 inch Carving Knife
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN, SUPERB QUALITY - This 10 inch solid steel, razor sharp slicing knife comes standard with a dimpled blade for easy food release and a triple riveted comfort ergonomic handle for maximum durability and precision.
- IMPECCABLE PERFORMANCE - This life changing tool is made from food grade steel, it's dishwasher safe, and most importantly saves you time when making delicious homemade beef jerky - you know, so you can spend that time eating it 🙂
When shopping, we’re all after that one thing— we want the best value out of every penny we pay for a product. Now, scooping the eighth spot on the list, this knife guarantees to give you the best bang for your buck.
The high-quality unit allows you to quickly and effortlessly prepare delicious homemade beef jerky. Its design is born from many jerky-making professionals combining their ideas and expertise. Thus, you will love the level of convenience and exceptional performance it delivers at the job.
On multifunctionality, there’s much you can accomplish with this piece of steel. Away from the jerky world, you can use it for vegetables, fruits, and other cutting tasks in the kitchen. What that means, if you want a decent knife that can handle a wide array of tasks in the kitchen, this model qualifies to be on your priority list.
The unit features food grade steel, so it’s a safe kitchen addition for cutting meat and other types of foods. The dimpled blade design means you don’t have to worry about using the knife for foods that have a high likelihood of sticking to the blade.
About ergonomics, this knife has impressive balance. It feels sturdy and allows for excellent handling, allowing you to make precise meat cuts. Also, the well-balanced classic design is comfortable to work with for hours as it doesn’t cause much hand fatigue.
- Will cut meat to any thickness.
- The sheath isn’t of the best quality.
#9 imarku Santoku Knife – imarku 7 inch Kitchen Knife
- Professional Santoku Knife: This imarku Super Sharp Santoku Knife is made of German HC stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing, and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits, and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Ultra-Sharp Edge: Sharpness is key. The professional knife blade polishing makes this Japanese knife be more sharper than others, and it has been proven its ability to withstand the rigors of tough restaurant use. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2.5mm. Its hand-polished edge is 15-18 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly.
If you are a beginner chef who loves to prepare meat-related products, you should consider getting a small-sized knife. Larger blades can be a little large and heavy for entry-level chefs. Now, if you are beginning your culinary journey, here comes the best knife-cutting meat for beginners.
The knife is 7 inches in size. That means it’s smaller than the majority of the models coming earlier on the list. It’s also the preferred size for entry-level chefs as it’s more maneuverable and manageable to handle. Hence, there are slim chances of injuries happening when using this piece of cutlery.
The Japanese knife makes use of premium German HC stainless steel. In other words, it has sturdy construction with a very solid feel. This type of metal also offers exceptional corrosion, wear, and stain resistance.
The ideal meat knife is about 2.5 mm thick with a 15 to 18-degree edge angle on either side. The optimal angle design ensures that you get the most wonderful cutting experience. Also, you will find it easy to put a new edge to it when there’s a need.
The humanized design of the pakkawood handle provides a comfortable grip no matter the user’s hand size, gender, and gripping position. With that said, if you want a modern design piece of cutlery you can use all day, every day, this knife should suit your needs.
- The size of the handle is good for both genders.
- Easy to use.
- Ideal size for beginners and professionals alike.
- It’s scary sharp, especially for a beginner.
#10 Utopia Kitchen 7 Inches Cleaver Knife
- Heavy duty cleaver is made from 100 percent stainless steel
- 7 Inch cleaver knife cuts easily through large pieces of food and is perfect for bone cutting, chopping and cleaving
Although most people think a meat cleaver to be an ideal pick for butchers only, it’s a tool any home chef may need, especially those that more often deal with meat products. Among our finest options is the best meat cleaver out there.
You can use this traditional butcher knife for cutting through bone, whether dealing with beef, chicken, pork, or any other type of thick raw meat. You will also find it helpful when chopping up a large portion of meat for cutting into smaller pieces.
As we would all expect of a tool of its kind, this cleaver features sturdy construction. It’s of 100% stainless steel, so it will stand up to the day-to-day toughest demands of both commercial and home kitchens.
It has a thicker and taller blade, so we don’t expect it to be among the most lightweight models out there. However, to keep hand fatigue at a minimal level, this knife also has a well-designed ergonomic handle.
Other than cutting a larger chunk of meat, you can use this 7-inch cleaver for melon, pineapple, and squash. About cleaning, you will appreciate that it’s dishwasher-safe, so you don’t have to worry about the hassle of handwashing it after every use.
- Ideal for meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- It will cut through beef bones.
- 100% stainless steel construction.
- Not ideal for cutting smaller pieces of meat.
#11 Zelite Infinity Nakiri Chef Knife 6 Inch
- INCREDIBLE! VEGGIE PREP LIKE A CHAMP: The most Versatile Chinese Style Chef’s Knife that you will Ever Own! So Easy to Handle and Control – whether Slicing shreds of Iceberg Lettuce for Tacos, Cubing Tomatoes, wanting to Slice Carrots or Celery with Effortless Buttery Smoothness, making Matchstick Veg, or Slicing, Dicing & Chopping Any Vegetables or Fruits – this will become your Favorite Chef Knife! Something about the Nakiri Shape Just Works! Set in Ultra Premier Packaging
- PREMIUM JAPANESE STEEL – BUILT TO LAST: Imported Japanese AUS10 Super Steel with 67-layer High Carbon Stainless Steel, Tsunami Rose Damascus Pattern, Hammered Tsuchime Finish, Liquid Nitro Cooling giving an Incredible Rockwell Hardness HRC 61. What this means for you - You get Sharpness, Edge Retention PLUS Stain and Rust Resistance so you can cut Veggies to Meat with minimal Kitchen Prep time giving you more time to enjoy the Family meal
Unless you are learning the ropes in your culinary journey, you should have heard about Zelite Infinity. Well, she’s a renowned manufacturer of high-quality pieces of cutlery, both for home and commercial use. That’s why we had to give the very last spot on the list to a product belonging to the brand. This option is the best meat-cutting knife from Zelite Infinite.
The Chinese-style piece brings versatility at its best. You can use it for cutting almost all types of meats, vegetables, fruits, and other foods. Hence, it’s more of an all-around model that works exceptionally for slicing meat.
The imported Japanese steel blade offers everything any chef will ever need from a piece of cutlery. I mean, it’s razor-sharp, easy to maintain, and resistant to stains, wear, corrosion, and more. Hence, no matter the level of abuse in the kitchen, this piece will maintain its day one beauty and functionality for many days.
The piece features a full-tang design, so it packs enough amount of strength for meat-cutting and other needs of the like. The military-grade G10 black handle has an enhanced in-hand feel, so you will like how comfortable and swift cutting meat for dinner gets.
The best-in-class combination of functionality, construction, and ergonomics make for an excellent gift to your professional chef or culinary student friends. Gift the knife to that special friend on their birthday, Christmas, mother’s day, father’s day, valentine, or any other special day of their life and they are going to remember it for a lifetime.
- Perfect gift.
- Steel resists corrosion and wear.
- The packaging is decent.
- Not as sharp as expected out of the box.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Santoku Knife best used for?
There are many areas where you can use a Santoku knife. It serves well for cutting meat, slicing cheese, and chopping fruits and vegetables. Actually, there aren’t many home kitchen tasks that you can’t accomplish with a Santoku knife.
Can you use a Santoku knife for any type of meat?
Well, while this is a work-horse type of knife for meat-cutting, you can’t use it for every type of meat. This design best works for the boneless type. You can also use it for cheese, vegetables, and other foods.
Which knife can cut through bones?
We have different types of knife designs. However, not many will work well for cutting through bones. Actually, if you are looking for the most reliable type of knife for the job, consider getting a meat cleaver. This piece of cutlery has sturdy construction and can handle the most demanding applications like bone-cutting.
Can you use a bread knife for cutting meat?
Well, a bread knife is simply a knife with serrations. This type of knife will work well for foods with a tough exterior but soft interior, for instance, bread. Most people find the urge to use it for cutting roasted meat almost irresistible. Now, if you are convinced that it’s the most appropriate for your needs, there’s no harm in using it to cut meat.
Not every knife will give you the precise meat cuts you want. As a result, it’s always good some research before you shell out for one. The piece to pick will depend on your skill level, type of meat, and the versatility level you want. After reading our reviews, we believe it’s easy for you to make an informed purchase.