A santoku knife may just be what you need to complete your cutlery collection. These knives feature flat cutting surfaces that are uniquely designed for chopping, slicing, and dicing.
Additionally, the blades have kullens along the cutting edge that prevent food from sticking onto the surface of the knife as you make cuts.
As a result, this will enable you to cut through the food effortlessly with no drag. This makes them an ideal option for cutting vegetables, fruits, meat, etc.
However, choosing a santoku knife is not an easy task since there are so many options that you can choose from. And that is exactly why we have made a comprehensive review list with some of the high-quality Santoku knives that you can go for.
11 Best Santoku Knife
Our Top Pick: Wüsthof 4183 Classic Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- WÜSTHOF Cutlery is crafted to resist corrosion and dulling
- High Carbon Stainless Steel Blades, precisely
Coming from Wüsthof’s Classic series, this santoku is professionally forged with your cutting needs in mind.
The 7″ high carbon steel blade is highly resistant to wear and also offers superior edge retention. And the fact that it is crafted from a single billet makes it even tougher, so the blade won’t break, and neither will the edge chip during usage.
In addition to this, the blade is tempered to increase both durability and performance. This knife is exceptionally versatile and can assist you in countless ways when in the kitchen.
With that being said, you can use the Wüsthof 4183 for slicing, mincing, and dicing applications. This makes it an ideal option for prepping vegetables and herbs when cooking.
Aside from that, you can use this knife for cutting steak, fish, and other lightly boned meats. The blade will deliver quality results in all cutting applications, thanks to its unique design.
Moreover, the dimples on the blade allow it to move effortlessly through food with no drag. As such, you won’t have a hard time when cutting delicate foods that require precision.
The hollow ground blade has non-stick properties, so the food won’t stick onto the knife. As a result, you will be able to move the blade faster, thereby allowing you to finish the task within the shortest time possible.
The Wüsthof 4183 has a full tang construction and also features a triple-rivet system to ensure that the handle scales are securely held in place. The polymer handle is conveniently contoured to give the user a firm grip.
- Pre-sharpened for user convenience
- Ergonomic handle
- Quality construction
- The blade can be affected by corrosion if not given proper care
Most Balanced: Imarku Santoku Knife
- Professional Santoku Knife: This imarku Super Sharp Santoku Knife is made of German HC stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing, and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits, and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Ultra-Sharp Edge: Sharpness is key. The professional knife blade polishing makes this Japanese knife be more sharper than others, and it has been proven its ability to withstand the rigors of tough restaurant use. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2.5mm. Its hand-polished edge is 15-18 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly.
Imarku has earned a good name in the knife-making industry. As a brand, it is known for producing professional-grade kitchen knives that are not only durable but also efficient.
Well, this santoku knife is no different from what the manufacturer has been making. It is meticulously balanced to give the user full control in all scenarios.
The knife features a 7″ 7CR17MOV German stainless steel blade that will provide you with optimum cutting power when slicing through different types of food.
Like the Wüsthof 4183, this knife has a multifunctional design, so it can chop, dice, slice, and mince.
Its use can apply when breaking down boneless chunks of meat into bite-size portions, but it can as well come in handy when cutting tomatoes, onions, and other vegetables.
The cutting edge is precision-polished on either side to boost performance. To add to this, the blade stays sharp longer, meaning you won’t have to edge it after each use.
In terms of durability, the blade is resistant to rust, stains, and discoloration, so you can rest assured that it will stay in good condition throughout the period that you will be having this knife. However, this will only apply if you handle the knife correctly.
Both sides of the blade have kullens that minimize resistance as you move the knife. This feature will enable you to make effortless cuts even when cutting sticky foods.
The blade is seamlessly attached to the pakkawood handle, thus giving the knife a stylish appearance.
It also has bolsters for added stability, so the handle won’t come loose when you are working.
The grip area is ergonomically contoured to ensure that your wrist and palm stay in a comfortable position. This will, in turn, enable you to use the knife extensively without getting fatigued.
- Features a razor-sharp edge
- Suitable for everyday use
- Easy maneuverability
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Self-Sharpening: Sabatier Forged Stainless Steel Santoku Knife
- SELF SHARPENING EDGEKEEPER SLEEVE: Sabatier Edgekeeper Knives feature a sheath with a patented, built-in mechanism that is designed to automatically sharpen the blade with each use, maintaining a razor sharp edge. The EdgeKeeper sheath guarantees a sharp blade for each use. Never worry about a dull blade before use.
- HIGH-QUALITY BLADE: The blade is made from high-carbon steel that lends strength, sharpness, and durability. This knife ensures ideal cutting angle for sharpness and durability.
Are you tired of sharpening your knife every now and then? If your answer is yes, then you should consider going for this knife. It comes with a uniquely designed sheath that features a built-in knife sharpener.
As such, the edge of the knife will be sharpened each time it goes into or out of the sheath. This means the blade will always stay razor-sharp, allowing for effortless cutting.
To make it even better, the sharpener is placed in such a way that both edges of the blade will be honed uniformly before and after using the knife.
The 5″ blade is hand-crafted from high carbon steel to maximize edge retention and wear resistance.
Besides, the blade holds its edge well, thus making it even more efficient. And because it comes factory-sharpened, so you can use the knife right away.
The tang and the blade are forged from a single piece of steel and are also hardened to prevent breakage.
That is not all; the handle is triple-riveted for total stability. This knife has a shorter blade compared to most santoku knives on our review list, so it can prove helpful when tackling tasks that may require you to cut with exact precision.
Furthermore, a shorter blade is easy to maneuver, meaning you won’t have any problem making the preferred cuts.
To prevent food from sticking onto the knife, the blade features semi-circular hollows that will simplify your work when making cuts. Lastly, the handle is bolstered to increase strength.
- Conveniently designed
- Decent corrosion resistance
- The knife can only be cleaned through hand washing
Best Japanese-Style: Shun TDM0702 Premier Santoku Knife
- Beautifully crafted, Asian-inspired chef’s knife sure to become a kitchen favorite; the Santoku knife easily handles all basic kitchen cutting tasks with unmatched versatility
- Light and agile, combined with being slightly shorter than the standard chef’s knife, makes the Premier Santoku knife a top performer for users from professional chefs to the family kitchen
The high-quality Santoku knife by Shun can be an excellent addition to every kitchen. This knife is not only lightweight but also versatile, making it an ideal option for home cooks and professional chefs.
It can handle just about any cutting tasks that you may throw at it, and the best part is that it is extremely durable and equally efficient.
The blade has a beautiful hammered finish that reduces adhesion, giving the knife non-stick properties.
Unlike most of the knives that we have listed, the TDM0702 features a multilayered blade. The outer layers are forged from Damascus steel while the core is made of premium quality VG-MAX steel.
Nonetheless, that does not mean that it is hard to sharpen. With the right sharpener, you can effortlessly grind the edge according to your preference.
Plus, the knife is agile, thanks to its ultra-sharp edge. That said, it will allow you to make quick and easy maneuvers when cutting food.
This knife offers great corrosion resistance, outstanding edge retention, and good wear resistance.
The pakkawood handle is fitted with a durable end cap and a bolster to make the knife more stable. More on the handle, it feels good in the hand and is also non-slip.
- Professionally crafted
- High performance
- A bit pricey
Best Value: Mercer Culinary Genesis Santoku Knife
- Santoprene handle for comfort and safe grip, NSF certified
- High carbon forged steel from Soligen, Germany. Stain-resistant x50 Cr Mo V15 resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration. Full tang that runs the entire length of the handle for superior balance.
This santoku knife will completely change how you chop vegetables and other foods. The blade is made of X50CrMoV15 stainless steel and measures 7″ in length.
We highly recommend this knife to cuisine connoisseurs since it can come in handy when cutting a wide range of foods.
And like most santoku knives, the blade has pronounced kullens on either side to prevent sticky foods from adhering onto the surface of the knife.
The hollows also help in reducing drag and will enable you to cut while applying minimal effort.
Moreover, the steel used in the construction is resistant to rust and other forms of corrosion, so the blade won’t stain or discolor provided that you clean and store the knife correctly.
The edge will stay sharp even after repeated use, thus making the knife even more dependable.
Also, the edge is expertly tapered to increase the blade’s overall performance. Apart from that, this feature provides you with a precise sharpening angle, so you won’t experience any problem when edging the knife.
Since the knife is double-beveled, it can assist you regardless of whether you are left-handed or right-handed.
On the downside, it is not dishwasher safe, so you should consider cleaning it by hand.
- Ambidextrous design
- Sturdy construction
- Durable Santoprene handle
- Requires regular sharpening
Best Budget Buy: Victorinox Swiss Classic Santoku Knife
- The Japanese Santoku knife means "three uses" which refers to its excellence in slicing, dicing, and mincing
- Combines features of a cleaver with a chef's knife while the Granton blade flutes make paper thin slices and prevent food from sticking to blade
With this knife, you can effortlessly dice, slice, and mince your food to small bite-size portions. It comes with a 7″ blade that will enable you to cut like a pro.
Crafted from high carbon stainless steel, the blade is resistant to wear and will also provide you with exceptional edge retention.
More to this, it offers decent corrosion resistance, but you should keep in mind that it can still corrode if not given the right care.
As such, the blade should be kept clean and dry after each cutting session to increase the knife’s durability.
Additionally, this knife is highly maneuverable and can greatly assist beginners and professional chefs.
Unlike most santoku blades that have semi-circular hollows, the kullens on this knife slightly extend upward to reduce the surface area for adhesion.
As a result, the chopped slices won’t cling onto the blade as you make the cuts. That way, each slice will come out clean and thin, exactly how you want it.
The Fibrox handle and the blade are compatible in terms of length and weight, thus providing you with a well-balanced knife that you can count on. To top it all up, the grip area is contoured to give you a solid grip.
- Lightweight design
- The handle is textured to prevent slippage
- High quality
- The handle needs improvement
Best All-Purpose: Zelite Infinity Santoku Knife
- ✅ SETTING THE NEW STANDARD FOR SANTOKU KNIVES >>> Impress Guests with your Visually Stunning, Extreme Performance Best Santoku Knife – Chefs Knife adding Refinement and Style to any Modern Kitchen! Minimal Slicing Resistance, Satisfying Heft, Full Tang & Premium Materials!
- ✅ PREMIUM JAPANESE STEEL – RAZOR SHARP >>> Imported Japanese AUS10 Super Steel with 67-layer High Carbon Stainless Steel that incorporates a Hollow Ground Blade meaning Non-Stick, Exquisite Tsunami Rose Damascus Pattern and Liquid Nitrogen Tempering ensuring Long Lasting Performance! Stain & Rust Resistant Chef’s Knife
The Zelite Infinity combines efficiency and style to give you a high-performance santoku knife that will allow you to cut through tasks with the utmost ease.
Furthermore, the blade is made of multiple layers of high-quality steel that are both tough and durable.
The innermost layer is made of AUS-10 steel while the outer sections are constructed from high carbon stainless steel to prevent corrosion.
What’s more, the blade will stay in top-class condition for an extended period, so all you have to do is to ensure that knife is kept safe during storage,
The dimples along the cutting edge allow the blade to move smoothly through the food by reducing drag. This will enable you to make precise cuts with a single pass.
This knife has a full-size tang for user convenience. It will not only give you maximum control but will also deliver more leverage.
Consequently, the blade will slice through the food effortlessly, thereby saving you from applying a lot of pressure to the handle.
When it comes to stability, the handle scales are securely held in place by three rivets, so the tang and the handle will stay intact at all times.
The handle is somewhat rounded to give the user a comfortable grip that is equally firm. To add to this, the knife will arrive at your doorstep razor-sharp, so you won’t have to edge the blade before putting it to use.
- Sturdily built G10 handle
- Professional grade
- Rust resistant
- No sheath
Best Single-Piece: Global G-48 Santoku Knife
- All-purpose 7-inch hollow-ground Santoku knife for chopping, dicing, and slicing
- Blade made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium Stainless steel
The hollow ground santoku knife from Global features a single-piece design, thereby leaving no room for breakage.
Moreover, it is entirely crafted from high-tech cromova 18 stainless steel, so it is virtually immune to corrosion.
It also has high resistance against wear and offers excellent edge retention. The cutting edge is precision-honed for enhanced performance.
Plus, the fact that it is steeply ground makes it even more efficient since this increases the surface area of the edge.
The extra-wide blade will provide you with good knuckle clearance, so you can easily move the knife without hurting your fingers.
To add to its list of features, the handle is molded to maximize comfort, meaning it won’t strain your wrist as you maneuver the blade.
In addition to this, the grip area has multiple circular holes that will ensure your hand doesn’t slip when handling the knife.
The taper-ground edge will stay sharp for a long period, so there will be no need of sharpening the blade from time to time.
Both sides of the blade are hollowed to prevent food from adhering to the surface of the knife. By using this knife, chopping, dicing, and slicing will no longer be a problem for you.
- Extremely durable
- Heavy-duty design
- Hand-wash only
Best High-End: Yaxell Gou SG2 Santoku Knife
- Gou 6-1/2-inch santoku knife from yaxell of japan, the ultimate in superior quality kitchen knives with professional performance
- Blade is sg2 steel clad with 101 layers of high-carbon stainless steel, producing the layered damascus look
If you are on a quest for a high-performance santoku knife, Yaxell has you covered. And like the Shun TDM0702, the blade is layered for durability purposes.
Even though it is a bit shorter compared to most of the knives that we have reviewed, it will provide you with commendable results when dicing, slicing, or chopping.
The blade is made of superior quality stainless steel and is also cladded with high carbon steel to increase the knife’s performance.
It has an attractive Damascus look and can be an excellent addition to your kitchen. Also, the blade has great corrosion resistance and good edge retention.
The powdered steel from which the core is built is exceptionally tough and has a Rockwell hardness of 63HRC.
In addition to this, the handle is securely attached to a strongly built micarta handle that will provide you with long-lasting service.
To make it even more durable, the rivets are made of stainless steel, so they won’t stain or rust with time.
The bolster and the end cap are seamlessly attached to the handle, resulting in a sturdily built knife.
- Comfortable handle
- Easy to maneuvers
- Designed to last
- No storage box
Honorable Mention: Dalstrong Santoku Knife
- The NEW Ultimate santoku Knife: A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and award-winning craftsmanship, cutting-edge breakthrough technology, awe-inspiring design, and the absolute best materials available. Peak performance never looked so good at this price.
- A scalpel like edge is hand finished to a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method - No ordinary santoku knife. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience.
Dalstrong presents you with a well-designed santoku knife that will provide you with professional-grade results.
The blade is not only long but also wide, so you can also use it when transferring the chopped pieces to the frying pan.
Plus, the blade features well-placed kullens to limit adhesion. As such, you can slice the food thinly without the pieces sticking onto the blade.
The manufacturer has only used high-quality materials in making this knife, so you can go for it knowing that it will serve you well.
To make it even better, the blade is beveled at 8° to 12° per side for increased performance. This makes it a suitable option for chopping herbs, vegetables, meat, just to mention but a few.
In a nutshell, this knife can handle all basic cutting tasks in the kitchen, and that is just one of the reasons why you should consider adding it to your cutlery collection.
The core of the blade is expertly crafted from AUS-10 steel and is also enveloped in high carbon steel for added strength.
It is easy to sharpen, so you can effortlessly hone the blade to your preferred level of sharpness with a few strokes.
The G-10 handle is impervious to both moisture and heat, so it won’t degrade over time.
- Ergonomically designed handle
- Likely to dull after repeated use
Best Full Tang: Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S Santoku Knife
- QUALITY MANUFACTURING: Manufactured in Germany. Special formula high carbon NO STAIN steel. SIGMAFORGE knife is forged from a single piece of solid steel
- SHARPER BLADE: Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade starts sharper stays sharper longer and has superior resilience
The high-precision santoku knife by Zwilling J.A. Henckels may be last on the list, but that does not mean that it is not efficient.
It has a full tang construction and a well-built handle that will provide you with maximum leverage when making cuts.
Also, the handle is long and contoured to give you a non-slip user experience. The blade and the handle are balanced, so the knife will stay in the right course throughout the cutting process.
More to this, the cutting edge is ice-hardened to prevent the blade from chipping. Plus, the blade will maintain a sharp edge longer, so you won’t waste a lot of time honing it in between the work session.
Besides, the blade is laser-controlled, meaning all the cuts will come out clean and precise. The knife is factory-sharpened, so you will receive it with the edge already sharpened to an ultra-sharp cutting surface.
Not just that, the edge angle is set at 10° and will allow you to dice and chop smoothly without straining your wrist.
- The handle is fitted with a sturdy bolster
- Great wear resistance
- The price is a bit high
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Santoku Knife best used for?
Santoku knives are specially designed for chopping, dicing, and slicing, so you can use them when prepping vegetables, meat, fish, chicken, etc.
What size of Santoku knife is best?
Santoku knives come in different sizes, so it will all depend on the purpose for which you want to use the knife.
However, most users prefer knives that are between 5.5″ and 7″ long since they are easy to use and are also maneuverable.
Are Santoku brand knives any good?
Yes. Santoku knives can be an excellent addition to your cutlery collection because they are versatile and efficient.
They are ideal for everyday use and can assist you greatly when tackling virtually all cutting tasks in the kitchen.
Additionally, they have shorter blades, allowing for easy maneuverability when slicing through different types of food.
Why do Santoku knives have dimples?
The semi-circular hollows, also known as kullens help in reducing drag, allowing the blade to move effortlessly through the food when making cuts.
Aside from that, they also reduce the surface area of the blade, thereby preventing food from sticking to the surface of the blade.
Are Santoku knives good for cutting meat?
Santoku knives perform exceptionally when it comes to cutting meat since the blades have non-stick properties. Nevertheless, you have to ensure that the meat is boneless to avoid damaging the blade.
It doesn’t matter whether you are a professional chef or a home cook, the santoku knives that we have listed above will dramatically change how you slice, chop, or dice food.
Also, the knives are multifunctional, so you can use them when prepping different types of food.
To sum it all up, we have included knives with both short and long blades for your convenience.