The process of making sushi is quite delicate and, therefore, requires the use of specialized knives that will allow you to make clean cuts when slicing the sushi rolls.
With that being said, there are several factors that you need to consider before settling on a particular knife. And this can be a bit challenging since there are so many brands that you can choose from.
If you are having a hard time choosing the right sushi knife, the well-researched review list below can help you get started.
We highly recommend these knives to professional sushi chefs, beginners, and cuisine connoisseurs.
The knives vary in terms of performance, price, and also come in different sizes, so it is up to you to pick the product that best suits your needs.
11 Best Sushi Knives
Our Top Pick: Lucky Cook Sushi Knife
- ★ FOR PERFECT SLICING OF DELICATE PRODUCTS. ★ Filleting, slicing and cutting delicate food products such as raw fish or sushi rolls, without crushing or tearing its structure, requires the use of a special super sharp knife. For these purposes, a kitchen knife with a special design was invented in Japan - the Lucky Cook 10-inch sashimi knife.
- ★ WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT THIS 10-INCH SUSHI KNIFE? ★ It is a quality sushi knife with a long narrow right-handed asymmetric blade which allows you to fillet a whole fish in just one or two movements.
We chose this knife as our best pick because it is mercilessly sharp, well-balanced, and reliable. It comes with a thin 10″ stainless steel blade that will allow you to slice through each sushi roll without squashing out the ingredients.
The beveled edge is precision ground for performance, so you can rest easy knowing that you will get clean cuts in all scenarios.
Plus, the surface of the blade has a non-stick design, so you won’t experience drag when cutting through delicate foods.
Moreover, the blade won’t dull easily, meaning you can use it multiple times without honing it. The other thing that we liked about this knife is that it is exceptionally lightweight and is equally easy to use.
As such, you won’t have a hard time maneuvering the blade when making cuts. This will, in turn, allow you to make customized cuts without damaging the structure of whatever you are cutting.
Attached to the blade is an ergonomic wooden handle that will provide you with a firm grip. Also, the handle and the blade are securely mated to increase stability. There is also a bolster that protects the tip of the wood.
To top it up, it comes at an affordable price and is, therefore, an ideal knife for all users.
- Well designed
- Gorgeous finish
- Excellent Knife
- Not full tang
Best Yanagi Sushi Knife: Mercer Culinary M24012
- Razor sharp, high-carbon, stain-resistant German steel resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration
- Single-edge blade is taper ground with a fine stone finish
Next on the list is the M24012 from Mercer Culinary. It has amazing features that will assist you greatly when slicing sushi.
Furthermore, the blade is extremely versatile and can prove helpful in different stages of the sushi-making process.
With that being said, you can even use the M24012 when filleting, so you won’t have to use additional knives when preparing sushi.
Like the knife before it, the blade comes with a razor-sharp cutting edge that will dramatically change how you cut sushi rolls.
The high-carbon German steel from which the blade is made is of high quality and is also rust-resistant. In addition to this, the tapered blade has a single edge design and is also beveled to increase the knife’s overall performance.
You will be happy to know that the manufacturer has only used the finest materials in the construction, so you can go for the M24012 knowing that it will serve you for long periods of time.
Besides, the 12″ blade is very flexible, allowing for easy maneuverability. It will help you cut both small and large pieces of fish without experiencing any problem.
The wooden handle is designed with your comfort in mind, thus making it even more comfortable. It will allow you to work for long hours without straining your hand.
- Effective sushi knife
- Outstanding edge retention
- Good price range
- Suited for right-hand use
Most Versatile: Simple Song Traditional Japanese Sushi Knife
- HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: Our 420HC stainless steel blades are heat treated for optimum hardness and edge retention while maintaining the ability to be sharpened to a razor edge. The steel used is perfect for kitchen specific tasks because of its corrosion resistance, preventing it from oxidizing with rust when it comes to contact with meat, fruits and vegetables. Our steel blades run the length of the knife and through the handle for a full-tang design.
- SINGLE BEVEL KNIFE EDGE: Traditional Japanese knives in the hands of premier chefs are usually of a single bevel ground edge in order to give the most precise and sharp edge. Our blades are meticulously sharpened to a 15° edge on the right side while the other side remains flat. A conventional Compound edge is sharpened on both sides usually resulting in a 30° edge which is not as sharp. Our design gives you an incredibly sharp edge while you cut and a flat side helps to separate food slices.
If you are a professional sushi chef, this is one of the reliable knives that you can consider using.
Made of premium grade 420HC stainless steel, the 8″ blade not only has a sharp edge but is also tough.
It cuts sushi rolls like butter and also offers extraordinary edge retention. The blade has a full tang design and is also bolstered to increase strength.
More to this, the grip area is rounded to give you a solid grip that is both comfortable and reliable.
As such, you will have full control over the blade at all times, thereby allowing you to slice ingredient-packed rolls without spilling the contents of the sushi.
You can as well use this blade when processing raw fish, thanks to its versatile design. To make it even better, the blade comes pre-honed, so you can put it to use right out of the box.
Since it is beveled, it will enable you to make thin slices without damaging the fish. As a result, all the cuts will come out exactly how you want them to.
This Japanese sushi knife has advanced features that will provide you with professional-grade results in all cutting applications.
The blade is highly resistant to corrosion and is also impervious to moisture, cold, and heat. It won’t oxidize, and neither will it develop rust spots.
On the downside, it is somewhat heavy compared to most of the knives that we have covered on our review list.
- Expertly crafted
- Easy to sharpen
- Exceptionally tough
- Not ambidextrous
Best for Professional Use: Imarku AA55
- 【Perfect Slicing Sashimi Sushi Knife】- The ruthlessly sharp edge is handcrafted by seasoned artisans to a mirror polish at 12-15°single side. Because of its special single-sided and sharp blade without crushing or tearing the structure of the ingredients, it's able to slice sashimi and sushi into thin slices.
- 【High-carbon Stainless Steel Blade】- This 10 inch sharp sushi knives is Manufactured with High Carbon Stainless Steel 5cr15mov, at HRC 56-58 hardness, the sharpness is 80-100. Sashimi knife boasts unrivaled performance and incredible edge retention.
Imarku presents you with a fantastic knife that will simplify your work when cutting through sushi rolls. It is precision ground to a sharp slicing edge that offers good wear resistance.
To add to this, the blade is hand-crafted with every user’s needs in mind, making the Imarku AA55 an ideal option for professionals and armature sushi chefs.
The 5cr15mov German stainless steel used in the construction has a rating of 56-58 on the HRC scale, so it will not chip nor break provided that you use the blade properly.
Like most blades on the list, it features a single bevel design and is also non-stick. It won’t drag as it slides through the rolls, allowing for smooth and effortless cutting.
The Imarku AA55 comes with a D-shaped Pakkawood handle that is ergonomically designed to ensure that you get maximum comfort.
What’s more, it is well-balanced, so you will be able to get the work done while applying minimal effort.
Moreover, this knife is a favorite among Japanese cuisine chefs because it does an amazing job on fish.
Plus, it requires minimal maintenance, so all you have to do is to ensure that the blade is kept clean and dry after each use.
- Solid construction
- Superb finish
- High-quality knife
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Budget Knife: Happy Sales HSSR400
- Happy Sales Single beveled knife for right handed use
- 8 inch long blade
The HSSR400 by Happy Sales is also another dependable option that you can add to your cutlery collection.
It offers a great balance between price and performance, making it one of the best value sushi blades that you can count on. In fact, it is cheaper compared to most commercial knives in its knives.
More on the blade, it is 8″ long and is uniquely designed for tasks that may require you to cut with precision. It has a slender design that will enable you to cut out thin slices from the fish when preparing sushi.
The blade is made of high-quality molybdenum rust-resistant steel to increase performance and durability.
It will retain its sharpness even after being used repeatedly. The other feature that we liked is the well-designed D-shaped handle, which is ergonomically shaped to give you a reliable grip.
Also, it is made of food-grade wood, so you can use it without worrying about anything. The plastic bolster will ensure that the handle stays in place at all times. Consequently, it won’t shift, and neither will it come loose when you are working.
Additionally, the Japanese-style blade is factory-sharpened for user convenience. It performs exceptionally when slicing through raw fish and other types of seafood.
But, that is not all; it has balanced features that will give you an added advantage, especially when cutting stuffed sushi.
Lastly, it comes at a fantastic price and is, therefore, ideal for those who are after quality but on a tight budget.
- Feels good in the hand
- Sturdily built bolster
- Delivers thin slices
- Short tang
Best Yanagiba Sushi Knife: KYOKU Samurai Series
- SUPERIOR STEEL - Manufactured with an ultra-sharp, cobalt-added, and cryogenically treated steel cutting core at HRC 56-58 hardness, this 10.5 in. Yanagiba knife boasts unrivaled performance and incredible edge retention.
- WELL-BALANCED - With the perfect blend of comfort and performance, you can slice through meat with ease while avoiding fatigue and finger pains, perfectly blending performance and comfort.
This 10.5-inch sushi knife may just be the right cutting tool for you. It comes with an ultra-sleek blade that will provide you with smooth cuts when slicing sushi roll.
In addition to this, the spine is reinforced to prolong durability. To make it even more efficient, the blade is cryogenically treated to increase its hardness.
Nonetheless, it is easy to hone, so you can grind it to the preferred sharpness with just a few passes. Plus, the blade will not dull easily provide that it is given proper care.
It is finely polished to a mirror-like, thus giving a luxurious appearance. And the fact that it is resistant to corrosion makes it even better because the blade will not acquire rust spots during storage.
When it comes to the construction, the manufacturer has forged the blade from tough Japanese steel, so you can go for this product knowing that it will last for a long time.
With the help of this knife, you’ll be able to make creative rolls from your sushi without spilling the ingredients.
Furthermore, this is one of the incredible knives that you can depend on when prepping fish. It has one of the hardest blade material and will allow you to cut with absolute precision.
The handle, on the other hand, is made of tough wenge wood and also features a protective varnish coating that safeguards the base material from possible damage.
- Decent Knife
- Comes at an affordable price
- Well-balanced design
- The blade dulls with time
Best Full Tang: Dalstrong GS-10.5inch-Yanagiba
- Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance has never looked so good at this price.
- Incredibly razor sharp, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at 16-18 degrees per side. Precisely tempered and stain resistant.
Like the knife that we have just reviewed, the high-quality blade from Dalstrong is 10.5″ long. It is made of reliable German steel that is tapered to boost performance.
The blade is exceptionally thick, while the edge is precision ground, giving it a low profile design. As such, it will enable you to cut the sushi without distorting its structure, so you can say goodbye to rolls that are distorted.
In addition to this, it is full tang, so the blade won’t detach during usage. More on the handle, it is made of military-grade G-10 material that will provide you with long-lasting service.
It is triple-riveted for your convenience and also has a mosaic engraving for aesthetic purposes. The good thing about this knife is that it can come in handy in different situations.
That said, it can come in handy when cutting different types of food, including those that are tender and delicate.
And because the handle is laminated, it won’t absorb water when working in wet conditions. It allows for easy maneuverability and also reduces fatigue-free.
The blade will provide you with maximum cutting power, so you won’t have to apply a lot of pressure when cutting.
- Easy to clean
- Favorable price
- Elegant finish
- The handle is not textured
Best All-round: FAMCÜTE Gyuto Sushi Knife
- 100% from Japan's High Quality Steel - FAMCUTE series uses 9CR18MOV. A great steel for the everyday use of any chef. With an HRC of 60+/-2 it will take an angled edge and hold it for long enough to help extend the life of your knife (w/ general maintenance). The clad dimple allow for easy food release while slicing or dicing. This blade is great for vegetables, fruits, fish, and meats. [Please refrain from cutting frozen products as this may detriment the knife's edge.]
- Ergonomic Design- Design inspiration are designed to show the special beauty of chef’s knives. While focusing on comfortability, and efficiency for the everyday chef. Blade length is 21.2cm and handle length is 15.3 cm with an overall length of 36.5cm. When a pinch grip is used the blade length is considered “true 8” inch” where the user will be able to maximize maneuverability of the blades cutting edge
The high-performance knife from Famcute is also another versatile option that is worth adding to your kitchen.
It is specially designed for cutting sushi but you can as well use it on other tasks that may require a blade of this type.
Moreover, it is forged from 9CR18MOV stainless steel with a hardness rating of 60 HRC. The blade is beveled to a 16° angle to maximize the overall cutting performance.
Also, the steel is professionally hardened to prevent the blade from chipping. Not just that, the surface of the blade has a smooth finish and is also non-stick, so it will provide you with a perfect roll when making sushi.
Its unique V-shape design makes it even more efficient since it reduces drag. This will enable you to cut through the fish effortlessly.
In terms of durability, the blade offers great wear and corrosion resistance. Aside from that it holds its edge for a long time and is equally easy to hone, so you won’t have a difficult time sharpening the blade in case it gets dull.
The octagonal handle provides you with a firm grip, thus increasing your accuracy when making cuts.
- Strong bolster
- Durable knife
- Comes at an astounding price
- More on the heavy side
Best Nonstick: PAUDIN Sushi Knife
- PREMIUM PERFORMANCE: Ultra sharp blade of 8'' carving knife is engineered to handle all cuts of meats including brisket, pork loins, turkey, ham, smoked salmon and roast. Taper-ground edge and perfect balance allow for long lasting sharpness and high efficiency while chopping and carving.
- RAZOR SHARP: High-quality German stainless steel provides easy blade maintenance and rapid sharpening for the super sharp slicing knife. With 8-12 degrees per side bevel, this best knife handles daily tasks with ease in household or professional kitchen.
When buying a sushi knife, there are key features that you should look for before buying the product in question. And Paudin’s high-quality sushi knife seems to have all the features that a good blade should have.
The durably built 8” blade has nonstick properties, so you will not experience any resistance when making cuts.
It provides users with good results when slicing sushi roll and other delicate foods. The blade is finely ground and is also tapered for user convenience.
The other feature that is worth mentioning is that it comes with an ergonomic handle that will make your work easier. It also offers good weight distribution, thus enabling you to cut with the utmost precision.
Plus, it is made of the hardest materials, thus making it super durable. Both the blade and the pakkawood handle are weighted for performance.
The grip area is not only non-slip but also comfortable and will enable you to work extensively without straining.
This feature can particularly come in handy when tackling tasks that may require you to work for long hours.
- Delivers good performance
- Excellent blade materials
- Easy to sharpen
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Ceramic Sushi Knife: Kyocera KT-200-HIP-D
- The hot-isostatic pressed ceramic knives are made from Kyocera's proprietary zirconia material produced in Japan for exceptional quality and beauty
- A distinctive etched knife blade and Pakka wood handle design with 3 stainless steel rivets
If you prefer ceramic knives, Kyocera KT-200-HIP-D may just be the right tool for you. The fact that it is made of ceramic means it won’t rust, and neither will it stain.
This makes it extremely durable and reliable. It offers excellent edge retention and will allow you to make smooth cuts when dealing with soft foods.
To add to this, it is lightweight, meaning it won’t weigh you down. The blade is impervious to moisture, so its quality won’t degrade with time.
Additionally, the surface has a Damascus-style pattern, so it is not only aesthetic but also nonstick. As such, it can cut with no drag, so the sushi rolls won’t get damaged in the process.
The curved edge allows the blade to glide effortlessly, so you can maneuver the knife in either direction.
More to this, the cutting edge is precision designed in such a way that it can make accurate cuts at multiple angles.
The 8.25″ blade is firmly held in place by strong stainless steel rivets to ensure that you get a dependable tool.
Since the cutting edge is heavily reinforced, chances of it dulling are very minimal. In addition to this, it requires minimal maintenance, making the KT-200-HIP-D one of the heavy-duty ceramic knives that you can consider buying.
- Exceptionally lightweight
- Well balanced knife
- Comfortable grip
- High price
Best for Beginners: Seki Japanese Sushi Chef Knife
- Sashimi Knife, fish-slicing knife, is used for slicing raw fish thin. When slicing raw fish, you need to pull the blade toward yourself. The long blade helps to pull it more smoothly. By using a sashimi knife, professionals can preserve the texture, flavor, and freshness of the fish.
- Excellent for slicing food materials. Used for making sashimi and sushi. You can use a sashimi knife for slicing meat thinly, but please wipe off the oil carefully.
The easy-to-use sushi knife from Seki is ideal for beginners but it can also be used by professionals.
Its sharp edge can slice raw fish thinly and will help you avoid unnecessary wastage when processing sushi.
The stainless steel material used in making the blade won’t contaminate your food in any way, thus preserving the natural flavors.
What’s more, the blade has a single bevel design which is good when slicing sushi. And because it is thin, it won’t damage the fish.
Moreover, the blade comes from a brand that has earned a good name when it comes to making incredible knives.
It is both durable and efficient, and that is just one of the reasons why you should consider using this piece.
To add to its long list of features, the blade is highly resistant to rust and other corrosive elements. In case the cutting edge stains when the blade is in storage, you can restore it to its original state using a rust eraser.
The handle is crafted from tough wood for durability purposes while the grip area is smooth textured for user comfort.
It has a long grip area, so all your fingers will have a place to rest when gripping the tool. Lastly, the spine and the choil are hardened to prevent the blade from bending during usage.
- Multifunctional design
- Attractive finish
- Awesome sushi knife
- Has a short tang
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need a special knife for sushi?
To get good results when cutting sushi, ensure that you go for specialty knives that will allow you to slice the fish with the exact precision. With the right knife, you will be able to make a beautiful presentation that is equally mouth-watering.
Why are sushi knives so expensive?
Most sushi knives are forged from high-grade materials that are highly-priced. This increases the production cost, resulting in a high price range.
What is the best knife to cut sushi rolls?
The knives that we have highlighted in the review list above are fitted with precision-designed blades that you can rely on when slicing sushi rolls.
Why do my sushi rolls fall apart?
If you overstuff the sushi with ingredients, it is more likely to fall apart compared to when you use a small amount of stuffing. According to professional sushi chefs, using over-dried nori can also cause the sushi rolls to crumble.
Why do some sushi knives have holes?
Some sushi knives have holes on the blade to reduce drag. As such, you won’t experience any resistance when cutting the sushi. That way, the rolls will come out with cleaner cuts. Additionally, you won’t have to apply a lot of pressure to the blade when cutting.
It does not matter whether you are a professional sushi chef or just a beginner, the knives that we have listed above will help you take your skills to the next level.
The knives have specially crafted blades that will enable you to work with precision when cutting sushi rolls.
Plus, most of the blades are versatile and can assist you in different stages of the sushi-making process.