Are you looking for the best tanto knife? First off, what is it?
A tanto knife is a Japanese-style blade that has a high point, sharp edge, and angled cutting edge. The word “tanto” comes from the time of the samurai in Japan and means “short sword.”
This style of blade was popular with warriors because it was used for stabbing or slashing. Today, this style of blade is found on other types of knives. They are on folding pocket knives and fixed blades.
A good tanto knife will have several qualities to make sure you get the best use out of your investment. This should have a handle that is comfortable to use and easy to carry around. The grip should be textured for better control. The blade needs to be sharp and have serrations if it has them.
This article will teach you what to look out for when buying one. It’ll also help you find the best on the market today.
5 Best Tanto Knives
1. MTech USA Tanto Blade
- Tactical folding knife offers easy one-handed deployment via use of its thumb stud; stays securely in place via liner lock
- Black stainless steel tanto blade with chisel point
This knife is an EDC favorite. It will be with you in the morning when you cut open the cardboard on your way to work. And it will help you with a tough project, too. This has a clip that can hold the folded blade and handle of the knife. This makes it easier to store without damaging your knife. That way, your knife lasts longer.
Designed to be easy to use with one hand. For example, in a pickpocket situation, you only need your thumb! The liner lock ensures that once opened again, it won’t close.
There’s a thumb groove on the spine of this knife for enhanced grip and control while slicing. This is a good option if you are looking for something new, modern, and sleek but don’t want to pay too much money.
- The blade locks securely into place with the use of its liner lock.
- It comes complete with a pocket clip for easy and safe carry.
- Easy one-handed deployment.
- Perfect for camping, fishing, hunting, or any other outdoor activity.
2. Cold Steel Recon Fixed Blade
- DEVELOPED AND REFINED: Through our pioneering research, this blade shape has proven the value of the "American Tanto" style reinforced point beyond question
- TRUSTED: Having seen active military application in numerous conflicts, it is on its way to becoming the preferred fixed blade for special military units and SWAT teams
A blade of enduring utility and beauty, this fixed blade knife is the perfect blend of power and prestige.
The steel is made with traditional Japanese methods and in one of America’s oldest steel manufacturing regions. All products meet a certain quality standard.
The blades come with a leather sheath for carrying that is made from cowhide and can be used whether you are hunting or on the prowl.
- The Recon Tanto is a versatile tool.
- It’s made out of high-quality materials.
- Durable, reliable, and tough.
- Perfect for outdoor use.
3. BGT Folding Tanto Knife
- The BC tactical knife with all steel construction for durability.
- Ergonomically designed anti-skid knife handle gives you a secure grip.
This knife has a tanto tip blade and a comfortable handle, it is an essential tool for any adventurer out there.
Light and balanced, the BGT’s stainless steel folding knives can be used in all sorts of situations. This is a strong product made from top-quality materials. You can be confident that this product will never break or wear out.
Designed with an anti-skid knife handle it gives it a secured grip. The ball-bearing pivot system makes it easy to deploy the tanto tip blade. Frame lock for easy one-hand closing too! Stainless steel pocket clip allows carrying around. Be prepared for anything with this lightweight tactical folding utility pocket knife on hand.
- It has a tanto tip blade that can open fast and be deployed with one hand.
- Designed with an anti-skid handle to give you a comfortable grip.
- It can be opened quickly because of the ball-bearing pivot system.
- It has a clip that can be put on your pocket or backpack.
4. Gerber EVO Tanto Knife
- Tanto blade shape, titanium nitride coated blade
- Liner lock mechanism with finger flip for easy opening
Perfect for the adventurer who wants a blade that will be sharp and durable no matter what. With its liner lock mechanism, it’s easy to open with one finger flip as well as close up when you’re done using it. The low-rise clip can keep your gear secure while you are out and about. When hiking, it makes it easy to reach into the backseat of a car without any problems.
Weighing 2.40 oz but made to last means this baby is always up to handle any task you give her.
- Durable, strong blade for tough tasks.
- Easy to keep sharp with the tanto edge.
- The low-rise pocket clip is perfect for carrying in your pocket or keeping it in a bag without being too bulky.
- With such a sleek design, you’ll be proud to carry this knife around with you wherever you go.
5. CRKT EDC Tanto Blade
- Fast Opening: Tighe ball bearing pivot rapidly deploys the blade
- Fast Opening: The flipper deploys the blade fast
When you need a knife, swiftness and reliability are key. That’s where Tighe Tac Two comes in handy.
It combines the utility of a blade with the convenience of carrying no sharp bits around. Plus as part of CRKT’s “Everyday Carry” line, it is designed for intuitive use – hold thumb past trigger safety to open and fold close by pressing down on the back spring-loaded lock release.
From everyday tasks like opening letters to vanquishes those who get in your way, this pocket folding knife means that there will always be an answer when you reach into your pocket or bag.
- Sleek and stylish, the Tighe Tac Two is a knife that will turn heads.
- The button lock with a flipper makes it easy to deploy the blade.
- Handcrafted tanto blade ensures a job well done.
What is it good for?
It was popularized by Cold Steel and is similar to Japanese long and short swords. Originally designed for armor-piercing. The point of the knife has a flat grind, which makes it strong enough to puncture hard materials.
Are they good for self-defense?
Before that, your attacker is more likely to lose the will to fight/decide that the risk of damage isn’t worth it. Or, you could be killed. Knives are useful both offensively and defensively. The tanto blade used in the “American tanto” is not a good defensive weapon.
Are the blades hard to sharpen?
It isn’t as difficult as it may appear to sharpen a tanto blade. A tanto knife’s sharpening procedure is identical to that of any other knife. The goal is to remove as much steel as possible from the knife’s edge until it is smooth and consistent.
How does it differ from other blades?
The strong tip shape of a Tanto blade is its main advantage. The Tanto tip is designed to puncture through tough materials while remaining unbroken. A tanto knife is not used for its original purpose as an armor-piercing tool. It can still be used for other things like cutting paper, though.
Is there a reverse tanto blade?
Yes. It’s a Tanto blade turned upside down, with the angular side on top, giving the knife the appearance of a very sharp drop point. The edge is curved in the traditional way and has a belly. The knife has a distinct appearance, and the tip is likely to be stronger than that of a drop-point blade.
The tanto knife you choose should have features that suit your needs, or the knife could break. If the steel is not of good quality, the blade might bend. Make sure that your knife has a good grip and is comfortable to hold. Each factor will play an important role in making sure your new knife feels just right in your hand.
You don’t want to end up with something too heavy for one hand or awkward in length if it may not get as much use as you thought. Choose wisely when picking out your next knife!