These small, sharp blades are used for paper-cutting projects like architecture models and sculpture. They can also be called X-acto knives or precision knives.
This tool may be small but are highly functional in many ways. In this blog post, we shall learn more about this little tool.
The Blade Defined
Exacto knives have blades that can be interchanged and replaced, which is one of the biggest advantages. They are very sharp and can be used for various small projects, especially in art and architecture.
These blades are usually found in several sizes which you can choose to use accordingly based on your project needs. The material that the blades are made from is important when choosing them for a project, especially if it involves cutting things like metals. Blades made of stainless steel will be great for this purpose.
When using an Exacto knife, it is very important to keep the blade protected from foreign substances since these can get in contact with your skin while you are working and cause injuries. The best way to do so is to use a very thin piece of plastic or rubber between your project and the blade, especially if it is made from metal. This way you will avoid getting cut while working with this tool.
Exacto knives are very useful in everyday life, and here are some of the ways this tool can come in handy.
These knives are often used to scrape off layers of protective coatings because of their small size. For example, they can be used to remove paint from wood frames for painting or lacquer.
The small size of these blades makes them perfect for creating templates in art projects like paintings and sculptures.
This tool can be used to cut paper materials such as leather, fabrics, and cardboard. They are also sharp enough to gut fish by cutting it lengthwise under the belly and removing entrails.
These blades can be used to create lines on wood, paper, and plastic materials when making sculptures or models out of them. You mustn’t push the blade too hard into these materials since it can tear through the skin and cause injuries.
Knife Tips And Tricks
- You need a sharp blade to achieve clean cuts without tearing or pulling the material. If you have a dull blade, it might be time for a replacement.
- These blades are usually made from steel and can rust if mixed with other metals such as brass and aluminum. Always keep them separated and make sure they are dry before putting them back in the case.
- You can use the knife to remove excess glue after using a hot-melt glue gun. Just scrape it off with the side of the blade. You should always clean your blade after doing this since you will have sticky materials on the blade.
- Always make sure the knife you are using is in good condition; there should be no cracks on the handle or any loose pieces that can break while working with it.
- The small blades of an Exacto knife make it very easy to get hurt if you lose control during use, so make sure you have a firm grip on it.
You can use the knives at home for a wide variety of projects, like craftwork, or as a hobby. These versatile knives are perfect for projects like cutting shapes from paper materials, scrapbooking, and many more. The best part is that the blades are replaceable, so you never have to worry about them becoming dull before long.