Wusthof knives have a reputation for their high quality and durability, but that doesn’t mean they don’t need some TLC now and then. If you find your knife is no longer slicing through tomatoes with ease or you notice the blade has become dull, it may be time to sharpen up!
In this blog, you will learn about the things you will need to sharpen your knife and the actual process of sharpening.
- A kitchen knife sharpener
- Some water to moisten the sharpener
- A good amount of oil to moisten the blade
- Paper towel to dry off unwanted moisture
- First, wash your knife in soapy water and dry it off with a paper towel.
- Place the sharpener on an even surface near where you are working.
- Lubricate the sharpening surface of the blade by rubbing some oil over it from a cloth or paper towel that will not leave any residue as well as using plenty of water to moisten the stone.
- Place the knife on a paper towel, blade up (the sharpening side of the blade should be facing you), and rest it above your fingers so that there is enough space to work without any part of the knife slipping off and hitting your hands or cutting them.
- Holding just one end of the handle with one hand, use the other to place light pressure on your knife.
- Move it a circular motion from the base of the blade towards the tip in an even and smooth movement without applying too much force or pushing down hard with your fingers. Apply enough downward pressure so that you can feel some resistance against your sharpening tool when moving across this area.
- Switch to that side and continue sharpening. You can tell if you need to sharpen more by feeling for rough patches as well as seeing them when looking over your blade.
- You would know that the knife is already well-sharpened when it feels smooth to the touch and you can see a shiny, perfectly straight edge.
- Make sure to clean the knife and the knife sharpener after sharpening.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I sharpen my WÜSTHOF knives?
You should sharpen your knives as often as they need it. The best way to find out is to use the finger test: if you can feel a smoothness on either side of the blade, then it doesn’t need sharpening yet. If one side feels rough or coarse with some resistance and the other side feels smooth with little resistance, then it’s time to sharpen.
Should You Buy the Wusthof Electric Knife Sharpener?
We recommend hand sharpening your knives for the best quality and performance. You don’t want to compromise on blade durability or cutting power by using an electric knife sharpener.
After sharpening, do you have to wash your knife?
Handles may be washed in warm soapy water and dried immediately. All other parts should be wiped clean with a damp cloth or sponge, then air-dried thoroughly before storing.
Wusthof knives are the best cutlery for your kitchen. So, it is important to take care of our your blades so that they may serve their purposes well and longer.
This post has been a guide to the best way of sharpening your knife and how to maintain it for future use. I hope you find this helpful!